We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train Transfer at Zurich for Lucerne

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,871 posts
78 reviews
Save Topic
Train Transfer at Zurich for Lucerne

I have purchased four discount tickets from Salzburg to Lucerne for January. Naturally we have to change trains in Zurich for a presumably local train to Lucerne.

I notice that the ticket only allows 15 minutes transfer time. Will this be enough considering we will all have luggage? Never having been before I have no idea what the station is like, although having seen other European stations I imagine it will be huge!

The tickets I have bought are for a specific train, so I guess we just have to purchase new tickets to Lucerne from Zurich if we miss our connection.

Any tips or suggestions for a quick transfer will be much appreciated.

Thanks, Deb

Schindellegi...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland, Kiev
Level Contributor
2,692 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train Transfer at Zurich for Lucerne

Check www.sbb.ch time table for you itinerary to get platform information for both arriving and departing trains.

Zurich railway station map seems still be hidden at www.sbb.ch - station & services - our rail stations - ... Zurich - about us - "Station plan"

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Zermatt
Level Contributor
17,296 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train Transfer at Zurich for Lucerne

Hi, first Zurich is an easy station for making a connection. Be prepared when you pull in to have one person alight from the carriage and another hand down the luggage - then go for the platform of your connection to Lucerne. You can ask the conductor on the train from Salzburg which platform for the train to Lucerne. Or as above - check on SBB. You probably won't have Swiss franc coinage and a luggage trolley takes a 2 franc coin so be sure you can handle all of your luggage in one trip without a trolley.

If you miss the train to Lucerne, just explain to the conductor on the next train that you weren't able to make the connection with all the luggage after all. Hopefully you will be allowed to travel on the ticket you have.

Hope this helps!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,871 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train Transfer at Zurich for Lucerne

Thanks for both of the replies.

I did look on SBB but couldn't find any platform details. It is probably too early so I will look when it is closer. We can all manage our luggage, we are travelling with two boys, but they are both 6 ft 5" strapping 18 and 19 year olds, so could probably carry it all! We will all have a wheeled case and an overnight bag, so not too bad.

We got premium (business) class tickets on the Railjet from Salzburg as we got such a great price, so hopefully will have a helpful conductor.

Deb

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Zermatt
Level Contributor
17,296 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train Transfer at Zurich for Lucerne

Hi, when you click on the small plus sign on the left of an itinerary, you get more details including platform numbers'! they can change from day to day but often use the same platforms. Check for a few days to see.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,871 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train Transfer at Zurich for Lucerne

Thanks kileysmom, you have been a great help.

Lots more questions to come I am sure!

Deb

Schindellegi...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland, Kiev
Level Contributor
2,692 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Train Transfer at Zurich for Lucerne

Have just found a [new] link for railway station maps on Swiss Federal Railway website: www.sbb.ch - Station & services - Trafimage maps and station plans.

No need for www.sbb.ch - station & services - our rail stations - ... Zurich - about us - "Station plan" for Zurich getting a railway station map.

Itineraries with track/platform information is not available yet for January. But most probably there will not be major changes, both trains will still use more or less the same track/platform range.

Lucerne, Switzerland
Level Contributor
2,523 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Train Transfer at Zurich for Lucerne

Trains to Luzern *normally* leave from platform 3 or 4.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,871 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Train Transfer at Zurich for Lucerne

Thanks again, everyone. Really appreciated and sets my mind at rest!

9. Re: Train Transfer at Zurich for Lucerne

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, October 18, 2014