We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alps, skiing and cable car

Which Lucerne hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Arlington, Virginia
Level Contributor
179 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Alps, skiing and cable car

Hi,

Can someone please suggest me the best location in Lucerne for a 2 night stay?

I want this to be a memorable one.

I desire to visit the Alps and if possible skiing and cable car ride.

Can I get these done in Lucerne?

Thanks in Advance!

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Zermatt
Level Contributor
17,078 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Alps, skiing and cable car

Have you skied before? If not, it is really a waste and very expensive to ski for one day and doing so will almost certainly leave you with very sore muscles for several days! When are going to be in Luzern?'

You might have a look at the Luzern website

www.luzern.ch

Hope this helps.

Arlington, Virginia
Level Contributor
179 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Alps, skiing and cable car

Thanks!

I have dropped the idea of skiing.

I will be in Lucerne on 25th and 26th of December.

Can I visit the Alps and do a cable car ride?

What is the best way to get to the Alps? Is there a day tour to Alps from Lucerne?

Lucerne, Switzerland
Level Contributor
2,523 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Alps, skiing and cable car

If you look at a map, you will see that once you get to Luzern, you are already pretty much "in the Alps", so there is no need to book any kind of tour to get there.

If you want to see some real Alpine scenery, get the train from Luzern to Engelberg (runs once an hour, takes 45 minutes), then get the cable car up to the top of the Titlis (altitude 3,238 metres). ONLY do this if the weather is good - if there is low cloud, you will be in the fog at the top and won't see anything.

Also be aware that although the trains and cable cars will be running normally, virtually all shops and most restaurants will be closed on 25th December, and probably a lot will also be closed on the 26th.

London
Destination Expert
for Verbier
Level Contributor
2,450 posts
240 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Alps, skiing and cable car

Shops and restaurants in Luzern will be shut. But anything in a mountain resort will be fully open. So maybe 25th is a good day to make a trip into the mountains.

Arlington, Virginia
Level Contributor
179 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Alps, skiing and cable car

Thank you all for the response!

6. Re: Alps, skiing and cable car

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:21 am, September 10, 2014