We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train Lucerne to Milan Oct 2013

Which Lucerne hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Los Angeles
Level Contributor
572 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Train Lucerne to Milan Oct 2013

My wife and I are taking off on a morning train from Lucerne to Milan departing Lucerne at 7:18 through Arth-Goldau. Should we book this and pay ahead of time? Can we buy the ticket when we get to the station or a few days before we depart since we will be in Zurich 2 days prior? From other TA postings I've read, Switzerland does not really provide early ticket purchase discounts.

Also, can somebody explain this SBB Notification below to me in plain English please? Will this affect our trip?

EC 13 (Zürich HB - Milano Centrale) Travel advice: (EC13) Passengers travelling to Zug, Arth-Goldau, Bellinzona, Locarno (changing in Bellinzona) and Lugano are advised to take the ICN 10013 departing from Zurich HB at 07:01. Further information

Haverhill, United...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
6,217 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train Lucerne to Milan Oct 2013

As this train is International and could be at half school term time I would book this train in advance. You can do this on the Swiss railway site.

I think the note also refers to that there will be high capacity on this train hence it is advising internal Swiss travellers to use the alternative ICN train.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
572 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train Lucerne to Milan Oct 2013

mostlybytrain: As I am already in Lucerne at the time (Oct 22) , does this mean I have to return to Zurich to pick-up the ICN 10013 train?

Haverhill, United...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
6,217 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train Lucerne to Milan Oct 2013

It is the EC13 (Eurocity) you require for your trip to Milan

Take the 0718 to Arth Goldau and change the EC13, leaves on the adjacent platform.

Lucerne, Switzerland
Level Contributor
2,523 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train Lucerne to Milan Oct 2013

I think the notice about people travelling to Lugano, etc is also because the EC trains from Zürich to Milan are notoriously late and quite often cancelled - I see this as I travel to and from work on that line every day.

By taking the other train, passengers are less likely to miss their connections in the event of a delay or a cancellation... but this does not affect you if you are going all the way to Milan.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
572 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train Lucerne to Milan Oct 2013

neuch: Thank you. This is relieving. There is a train change to EC13 at Arth-Goldau. This was when the issue is of concern. Do you think we should buy the ticket ahead? I am concerned in case our schedule time of departure changes. Then we are stuck with the ticket sched pre-bought. I am more comfortable buying our tickets when we get there. Plus, there is a seat reservation required from Luzern to Arth-Goldau. Is this really necessary for the month of October for a 26-min ride?

Lucerne, Switzerland
Level Contributor
2,523 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Train Lucerne to Milan Oct 2013

Strictly speaking, I think you only need a seat reservation from Chiasso to Milan, but in reality you should reserve from Arth-Goldau given that you will be getting on the train to Milan there. Definitely no reservation needed between Luzern and Goldau.

If the worst comes to the worst and the connection at Arth-Goldau does not happen for some reason, just get the next train to Lugano/Chiasso, then the local Italian train to Milan. It takes a bit longer, but you will get there and you will not need any reservation.

Galway, Ireland
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Train Lucerne to Milan Oct 2013

Hi , sorry I am a bit confused , and i plan similar trip... does that mean that ec train is often delayed or cancelled ? Would this not mean that art goldau to Milan would be often cancelled as its that train? Checked connections from Lugano to Milan but there is not that many there :( I am planning the journey there and now I am worrying

Surabaya
Level Contributor
150 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Train Lucerne to Milan Oct 2013

earlier this august, i chose the eurocity train from lucern direct to milan. no change required. it left lucern at 7.47 am

i'd advise taking this train as it means no moving heavy suitcases again

and it was punctual too in my case, both leaving lucern and arriving in milano centrale

even better, that train offered me a discount while the one with arth goldau connection did not

i only paid 81 francs for 2 adults and one child (child price = discounted adult price = @ 27 francs

a very sweet deal i believe

booking like 2 months in advance

9. Re: Train Lucerne to Milan Oct 2013

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, August 30, 2014