We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Swiss Watches - Shopping in Lucerne

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
31 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Swiss Watches - Shopping in Lucerne

We are about to visit Switzerland the first time. I have always been fasacinated about watches and now that we get to visit Lucerne, I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations or suggestions on buying a good watch for a reasonable price (about $200 -$300). Well, first of are they cheaper to buy than buying them in US? Are there any specific brands or shops that I can shop around in Lucerne. As I said, I am not looking for a Omega or Rolex but something resonable but still nice to use. Some forums mention Mondaine watches. Any feedback or help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Laderach
Gift & Specialty Shops
Max Chocolatier
Gift & Specialty Shops
Bucherer
Department Stores, Gift & Specialty Shops
United States
Level Contributor
329 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Swiss Watches - Shopping in Lucerne

I am also waiting for a response from any US travelers regarding our plan to buy watch in Lucerne. We were there about 5 years ago and I was so happy to get an O...... watch for $1,600.00 because at that time the price here was about over $2,000.00. It was such a good deal but I need to find out from any US travelers who went there recently if the prices there are still competitive because when I spoke to a salesperson in a popular dept. store, I was told that some European travelers buy from the US.

I hope the prices there are still competitive so we can get one as a souvenir of our trip.

Have a nice trip.

London
Destination Expert
for Verbier
Level Contributor
3,089 posts
307 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Swiss Watches - Shopping in Lucerne

I can't comment for the US but you will be aware that CHF is very strong. 5 years ago prestige watches were cheaper in Switzerland than London. Today it is the other way around. But - to be honest - if you are buying a Mondaine as a souvenir, surely 10% difference is lost on the value of a souvenir purchase. Incidentally vs GBP I estimate the difference is 20-40% now or more depending on the brand. Manufacturers tend to keep prices more stable in their local currencies over time.

You can always email a boutique with the make and model you are interested in an ask the price. Be precise. There are so many models and sizes. Try Turler at Zurich airport. They speak English and their prices will be the same as any city (barring tax free)

Edited: 4:49 am, August 24, 2013
United States
Level Contributor
329 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Swiss Watches - Shopping in Lucerne

That is a very informative response. I will certainly do your suggestion this weekend.

Thank you for your response.

Adelaide, Australia
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Swiss Watches - Shopping in Lucerne

I visited Luzern last year in June and was surprised at how cold it was during the day. There are many exclusive watch brands available, the largest being the Bucherer showroom near the antique wooden bridge.

I found the prices astronomical, but that is because I am from Australia and it is a country of imported Japanese brands. Interestingly, I came across Linda Khong Antike Uhren on Haldenstrasse, assuming you like vintage pieces. It is only a 10 minute walk from Bucherer. Don't know if you can find anything in the price range you mention or where they stock them. As far as I could see, most of the product on sale is focused on the large tourist trade, mainly Asian, and is very much out of reach for average buyers.

Goldau, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Lucerne, Zug, Brunnen
Level Contributor
15,301 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Swiss Watches - Shopping in Lucerne

Hi GS268

I only buy Swiss watches as they are produced in my country and I do not spend more than CHF 100.-. Of course this is not one of the very known brands (it is a Cover) and it is not very comfortable but it shows the time and the date (day) correctly.

There are different watch shops around Schwanenplatz (where you enter the old town from the lake bridge (Seebruecke) and within the old town. Just compare the prices.

pore

Lucerne, Switzerland
Level Contributor
2,523 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Swiss Watches - Shopping in Lucerne

It's also worth trying the department stores such as Manor, Coop City and Globus. These shops are not geared to wealthy tourists, and may have more items available at the lower end of the price range.

Also within your price range is the iconic Swiss Railways watch (see http://www.uhrenhandel.ch/shop/index.php?cat=c78_MONDAINE.html&gclid=CPKNrYfdpr0CFenjwgodS3sAjQ), which you should be able to buy at the railway station.

Edited: 2:03 pm, March 22, 2014
7. Re: Swiss Watches - Shopping in Lucerne

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:33 am, March 24, 2015