We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mt. Pilatus in August

FL, USA
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Topic
Mt. Pilatus in August

We would love to go to Mt. Pilatus in middle of August. How to avoid a lot of crowded tourists? Any tips?

Should we go up by cable car and go down by the cog-wheel train? It seem to be many people go up by cog wheel train and go down by cable car.

Thks for suggestions.

Kent, England
Level Contributor
1,876 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Mt. Pilatus in August

To my mind it doesn't really natter which way you go, I personally prefer to go up by cog wheel railway and down by cable car and gondola. Which ever day you go it will be busy but I have never found it to uncomfortably busy.

Goldau, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Lucerne, Zug, Brunnen
Level Contributor
14,434 posts
289 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mt. Pilatus in August

Hi SonyaFL

The tourist office recommends to go up by gondolas/cable car as there are less waiting times. Imagine that nearly all the tour buses start with the cogwheel train from Alpnachstad. Also the boat comes there. When I go up to Mt. Pilatus a start from Kriens by gondola.

There are roundtrip tickets available which you can purchase at the railway station. If you would have any Swiss pass show it at the counter.

An other way to avoid crowds is to start in the early in the morning.

Have fun

pore (just back from FL)

Southport, United...
Level Contributor
2,210 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Mt. Pilatus in August

I went up and down o from Alphnachstaad last year in July. I was there by 10 and had to wait a good 40 minutes or so. Be aware there is no shade until you are almost aboard and it's hot if it's a sunny day. There were no coach parties at the time they were just arriving as I was getting aboard.

I hadn't been up for over 20 years so thought it would be good to go again but I found it very crowded and not for me. I'm possibly biased as there was little I could do at the top as the walk at the top involves lots of steps and I hadn't been allowed to take my walker with me (I should have booked it in advance) so was on sticks and had to go back the same way to retrieve my walker.

india
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Mt. Pilatus in August

Hello..spending 2days in lucerne during 1st week of august..pl suggest mt.pilatus or mt.rigi..tried and tested indian or italian restaurant.

Galway, Ireland
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Mt. Pilatus in August

I haven't been in Lucern yet but from all research done i think Pilatus could be better choice as its closer to Lucern and you spend less time getting to place; if you only have two days it would be good idea to save time for relax ? You could do golden route with boat etc.

Goldau, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Lucerne, Zug, Brunnen
Level Contributor
14,434 posts
289 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mt. Pilatus in August

Hi all,

The Lucerne tourist office (like me) recommend to go up via Kriens (Gondolas and cable car) and down via Alpnachstad as there will be less waiting times.

Marmot12 unfortunately this would not help you and I agree, to go up on the top is hard.

Hi me_anurag and welcome on the forum. You will find the answer on your question on many posts. Otherwise I would recommend to open your own post by pressing the ask a question button and there you are.

pinky_fish all the mountain excursions mentioned on the Top Questions about Lucerne are easily doable in a day.

pore

7. Re: Mt. Pilatus in August

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, August 14, 2014