We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Boat trip in Lake Luzern or Thunersee or Lake Brienz ?

Level Contributor
75 posts
98 reviews
Save Topic
Boat trip in Lake Luzern or Thunersee or Lake Brienz ?

Dear All,

I have a quick question w/r/t choice of the location of the boat trip.

In early August, we have a 8 nights vacation in Switzerland; which I organized as 2 nights in Luzern, 4 nights in Wengen and 2 nights in Lausanne.

I am tempted to do the 3 hour "Best of Luzern" steam boat trip over lunch; but we have only two short days in the Luzern; and the idea of doing the boat trip in Thunersee or Lake Brienz does sound compelling. The Brienz boat trip, we have the option of using it as a to and from for the Ballenberg Open Air Museum and the Brienz Woodcarving Museum.

If you say one of them is clearly more beautiful as compared to the others; I will opt for that one. Among close equals, I will go for Lake Brienz...

Which one would you recommend me to do ?

All the best,

Gretsch5120

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
38,911 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Boat trip in Lake Luzern or Thunersee or Lake Brienz ?

Both! They are very different. Lake Luzern (Vierwaldstättersee in German) is in some places very much like a fjord. Mountains rising out of the lake etc. (not particularly high ones, but mountains none the less!). And it is very important, historically, to Switzerland as our country was founded on its shores at Rütli (Grütli in French!) in 1291. The Brienzer and Thuner sees are just lovely, turquoise waters, very high mountains on the south shores and quite high ones on the north. Ballenberg is truly worth a day's visit. And is not on the lake, but a short bus ride from Brienz...

Level Contributor
75 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Boat trip in Lake Luzern or Thunersee or Lake Brienz ?

Dear Hambagahle, truly appreciated.

Let me post the question this way; if you could be so kind as to answer, that would be great :)

If you had to pick only one lake, exempting any historic context, which one would you go for given my situation :)

All the best,

Gretsch

Burgenstock...
Level Contributor
72 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Boat trip in Lake Luzern or Thunersee or Lake Brienz ?

Being a resident on Lake Luzern I might be partial to my answer but I will pick Lake Luzern. The scenery is much much dramatic then either Brienz or Thunersee even if you get caught on a bad weather day.

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
38,911 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Boat trip in Lake Luzern or Thunersee or Lake Brienz ?

I think I agree with Kashie above. When you can see the mountains south of lakes Thun and Brienz those lakes are very dramatic. But you cannot be guaranteed of seeing them. Depends on the weather. I would go for the Vierwaldstättersee!

Level Contributor
75 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Boat trip in Lake Luzern or Thunersee or Lake Brienz ?

Thank you all, seems the choice is obvious :)

5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Boat trip in Lake Luzern or Thunersee or Lake Brienz ?

Hi,

I will be staying in Zurich from Oct 12th- Oct 15th.

From Zurich, how can get to the Lake Luzern? is the Lucern train station near the lake where I can catch the boat? Once I get in to the boat, will it take me to the Mt. Rigi?

Will my Swiss Pass cover all expenses?

Thank you

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
38,911 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Boat trip in Lake Luzern or Thunersee or Lake Brienz ?

Rachelhkim - I see you are quite new to TA - welcome!

Take the train to Luzern from Zürich - either airport or main station, it doesn't matter. Once you leave the station in Luzern the lake will be in front of you and so will the boat piers. You need to take a boat to Vitznau which is where you will get the train up to Rigi.

Swiss pass will cover 100% of the trains (from Zürich and up to Rigi and back) and the boat. Have a lovely time!

5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Boat trip in Lake Luzern or Thunersee or Lake Brienz ?

Thank you

Where are the place would you recoomend ?

I woul d like to go Base for. boat trip to Rhine River

5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Boat trip in Lake Luzern or Thunersee or Lake Brienz ?

Thank you, I have more questions to ask you.

Level Contributor
75 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Boat trip in Lake Luzern or Thunersee or Lake Brienz ?

After having seen the three lakes in question; I'll second Hambagahle and say that the Vierwaldstattersee is by far the most beautiful...