We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lucerne and a mountain in 1 day - viator tour or by myself?

Which Lucerne hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Oskaloosa, Iowa
Level Contributor
32 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Lucerne and a mountain in 1 day - viator tour or by myself?

I will be in Zurich for 3 days in June, and want to take a day trip on my last day there to Lucern and possibly see one of the mountains. I will be travelling alone and don't have time to do a lot of research between now and then, so I was thinking of taking it easy and doing a viator tour "Mount Titlis Day Tour from Zurich" that also stops in Lucerne for 1.5 hours. But after reading some negative reviews (about wasting time waiting for people from other tours) I am now thinking of possibly doing it by myself.

How difficult will it be to figure it all out? I really want to fit as much as possible in this day and I don't mind getting up early and returning late and do a lot of walking. I don't want to spend any time at the museums, so just seeing some of the city, boat ride, and going up to the mountain... But which one? What is the easiest itinerary to accomplish all of it? Is it worth taking a walking tour of Lucerne at 9:45 and then go somewhere else, or the walking tour will slow me down too much?

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Oh, and this will be on a Sunday, if it changes anything...

Goldau, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Lucerne, Zug, Brunnen
Level Contributor
13,365 posts
280 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lucerne and a mountain in 1 day - viator tour or by myself?

Hi indy

To do this trip on your own is very easy. For Mt. Titlis you buy a railway ticket from Zurich to Engelberg (change at Lucerne), walk to the cable car station (20 minutes), buy your ticket for Mt. Titlis and the rest is like with a tour. The served restaurant on Mt. Titlis has the better view than the self service.

For more information look at www.titlis.ch and the Top Questions about Lucerne.

pore

2. Re: Lucerne and a mountain in 1 day - viator tour or by myself?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, May 17, 2014