We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help & Advice on Transport & Attractions & Weather

Which Lucerne hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Topic
Help & Advice on Transport & Attractions & Weather

Arriving in Switzerland in September 2013.

APPRECIATE ANY ADVICE I CAN GET

Can someone tell me what type of a pass I should Buy to cover these situations.

I am genuinely so confused trying to work it out

My Age is 69

Train Tickets

Lake Lugano to Lucenne One Way

Lucerne to Interlaken One Way

Interlaken to Jungafrau Return

Interlaken to LAUTERBRUNNEN TRUMMELBACH FALLS Return

Interlaken Zurich One way

Zurich Night Train to Prague Sleeper for 1 person

Does the Passes cover some of the Attractions

Would like to go up Harder Kulm Funicular in Interlaken

Want to go to Mount Pilatus

Mount Rigi

Take a boat ride to Vitznau

Train to zug return to Lucerne

Visit some Museums in Lucerne

Boat ride Lake Brienz.

What is the Weather normally like in Early September

Thanks so much to those that reply

canada
Level Contributor
7,404 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help & Advice on Transport & Attractions & Weather

Some simple answers:-

Age 69, Only a small number of locals in certain location are eligible for senior discount. You are not.

You will be comparing Swiss Pass, Swiss Card, and Half Fare Card for your travel needs. The last 2 offers 50% discount when you go up to Jungfraujoch. Swiss Pass is entitled to 25% discount only; but it includes all city transports, and hundreds of museum entrance; plus, you don't have to stop to buy anymore tickets. You just jump on any train at your whim, or change your plan anytime. All these passes cover your travel within the borders (and more- like some part of Italy and France) inward and exit. Show your pass when you purchase cross border trips and the fares will be adjusted.

Weather question is tricky, let me just say it would be similar to what you have in Sydney and Blue Mountain now - chilly morning and evening, warm if the sun comes out during the day. So better have layers, especially you are climbing in altitude.

Goldau, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Lucerne, Zug, Brunnen
Level Contributor
12,939 posts
277 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help & Advice on Transport & Attractions & Weather

Hi Toby85

For more information about the excursions you would like to do from the Lucerne area look at the Top Questions about Lucerne (upper right side of your actual screen).

You can find all timetables and all other information about public transport in Switzerland on www.sbb.ch/en (there is a free app if ever you would have a smart phone with you).

The Swiss public transport system is integrated. This means you have at least one train per hour from everywhere to anywhere the whole day long. With a Swiss pass as suggested before you really can hop on and off the trains how ever you want during the validity period of your pass. Only some tourist trains require reservations and these are mentioned on the timetables on the SBB website.

Do not worry, Switzerland is easy to travel around and many people will like to help you if needed. Many Swiss speak at least some English (just speak clearly and slowly and be patient as we sometimes need to translate first).

Your boat trip to Vitznau can be combined with the Mt. Rigi roundtrip.

Have a great time

pore

3. Re: Help & Advice on Transport & Attractions & Weather

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, April 02, 2014