We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

can we use Euro in Switzerland

Which Lucerne hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
San Francisco
Level Contributor
637 posts
Save Topic
can we use Euro in Switzerland

Hi, I was told in Switzerland, we can use Euros, can someone

confirm this, if it is, it would be a lot easier for us because we

are going to other countries that use Euro. Save us the hassle

to exchange into Swiss Francs.

So when you purchase things in Switzerland, the price tag is

in both Euros and Swiss Francs, or how does it work, what about

in restaurants ?

thanks

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Level Contributor
13,063 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: can we use Euro in Switzerland

Hi CarnivalP,

Some places will accept Euros, but they are doing you a service, and they will charge you for it, either with a very high exchange rate or with a high commission.

Best bet is to have some kind of a debit card so you don't have to worry about exchanging anything. When you are in the Euro zone, you take out Euros, and when you are in Switzerland, you take out Swiss Francs.

Sometimes hotels and touristy restaurants will show the price in Euros as well as in Francs, but that is only for comparison.

Have a great trip!

s

Goldau, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Lucerne, Zug, Brunnen
Level Contributor
12,931 posts
277 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: can we use Euro in Switzerland

Hi CarnivalPride

If I come to the U.S. I never was able to pay with Swiss Francs. And so it is in Switzerland. As we are a tourist country many places will accept your Euros but normally no Dollars. As Swandav said, the change will be pretty bad for you as they want to cover their costs to go to the bank and to change your foreign currency back.

pore

Canada
Level Contributor
3,916 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: can we use Euro in Switzerland

If you do not travel with a debit card you really should! As Swandav said- use this card to take $ out of an ATM. This way you are not converting more than you need and the rates are very good.

Carrying a debit card also is more safe than carrying wads of actual cash.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
637 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: can we use Euro in Switzerland

thanks for your clarification. I gues whoever told me this is mistaken

Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: can we use Euro in Switzerland

I was in Switzerland in August, and I did a small experiment: how much time would I need before getting some francs out of an ATM (which is often much better than exchanging cash). It took me 2 days: at a University café (in EPF Lausanne, to be sure) did not accept neither cards nor euros.

Many private businesses (restaurants, bars) in Lausanne did take euros at roughly the official exchange rate. They even print the total in EUR on the receipt (UKIP readers?).

The place is pretty expensive though: unless one's on business, visiting family/friends or dirty rich, there's no reason to go there. Even driving through a small bit of it will cost you a fortune.

Edited: 4:00 am, September 04, 2013
Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: can we use Euro in Switzerland

Sorry, I see now that you're setting off from the USA. In that case, I suggest to any American coming to Europe (eurozone or else) to get a chip-and-pin card (debit, or credit). It is becoming a standard way of paying in Europe (by wireless, cell-phone, connected machines) and the exchange rate is usually much better than exchanging cash. The problem, as I understand it, is that it is hard to get such cards in the USA: most credit card transactions still require a signature.

Of course, when push comes to shove, it is handy to have some cash: but use it only if you have no other choice.

London
Destination Expert
for Verbier
Level Contributor
2,450 posts
240 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: can we use Euro in Switzerland

Sorry that you didn't feel Switzerland was worth it but I can promise you that thousands of non dirty rich people come to Switzerland every year and love it. The forum provides lots of advice for people on budgets. It's very possible to control the cost but you need to do things a bit differently. That's the joy of travel.

Crossed Switzerland last night and spent a short time swimming in a lake in Oberwil in the early evening. Simply stunning. Price £1.75 for access to changing rooms etc. Best money I spent all summer.

London
Destination Expert
for Verbier
Level Contributor
2,450 posts
240 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: can we use Euro in Switzerland

Sorry that you didn't feel Switzerland was worth it but I can promise you that thousands of non dirty rich people come to Switzerland every year and love it. The forum provides lots of advice for people on budgets. It's very possible to control the cost but you need to do things a bit differently. That's the joy of travel.

Crossed Switzerland last night and spent a short time swimming in a lake in Oberwil in the early evening. Simply stunning. Price £1.75 for access to changing rooms etc. Best money I spent all summer and certainly cheaper than any swimming pool I have been to in the UK!

Schindellegi...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland, Kiev
Level Contributor
2,064 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: can we use Euro in Switzerland

You CAN use Euro in Switzerland.

But not everywhere.

And if, then usually shops accept only banknotes in Euro (no coins) and return money will be in CHF (banknotes and coins). Exchange rate may be reasonably close to regular exchange rate – but may also be bad for the customer.

The other way round works also in nearby Euro-Countries – at least near the border. Shops can accept CHF, only banknotes and return money is in Euro.

Lucerne, Switzerland
Level Contributor
2,523 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: can we use Euro in Switzerland

<I was in Switzerland in August, and I did a small experiment: how much time would I need before getting some francs out of an ATM (which is often much better than exchanging cash) It took me 2 days.>

I did something similar (not deliberately) in the UK last year.... tried about 10 ATMs in various places on the motorway between Dover and Bristol in a vain attempt to get some cash to cross the Severn Bridge. None of them would take my Swiss-issued Mastercard or Maestro debit card. It's not just a Swiss problem.

Edited: 3:10 pm, September 06, 2013