We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Zurich->Lucern->Vitznau->Mt Rigi->Arth Goldau->Zurich

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
74 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Zurich->Lucern->Vitznau->Mt Rigi->Arth Goldau->Zurich

Hello Tripadvisors,

This will be my virgin trip to Switzerland. I will be using Zurich as my base and I like to go to Mt Rigi as my day trip.

I'm planning this. I will leave Zurich early at 7-8am. There will be 4 stops in total.

Zurich HB->Lucerne (train at sbb.ch)

Lucerne->Vitznau (boat)

Vitznau->Mt Rigi (train at rigi.ch). I like to spend 1-2hr taking pictures here.

Mt Rigi->Arth Goldau (train at rigi.ch I think)

Arth Goldau->Zurich HB

Now, my question is. I learnt that we do not need to pre-book when using Swiss trains as the price will still be the same.

1) Is booking necessary for the boat ride from Lucerne->Vitznau?

2) Do I buy the tickets at the individual stops? Or is it possible and easier to go to sbb.ch and book the whole trip so I don't have to waste time finding the ticket booth at each stop to purchase my tickets?

eg: Zurich->Zurich (via Lucerne, Vitznau, Mt Rigi, Arth Goldau)

Advance thank you for your help. My apologies if this question was asked before.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
11 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Zurich->Lucern->Vitznau->Mt Rigi->Arth Goldau->Zurich

If I am also travelling there in June is it best to book the tickets prior to arriving due to peak season?

Are you able to see Mt. Pilatus, Rigi, Titilis without having to go with a tour group?

Lucerne, Switzerland
Level Contributor
474 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Zurich->Lucern->Vitznau->Mt Rigi->Arth Goldau->Zurich

> If I am also travelling there in June is it best to book the tickets prior to arriving due to peak season?

No. Not necessary at all. No reservation needed, neither.

> Are you able to see Mt. Pilatus, Rigi, Titilis without having to go with a tour group?

Definitely YES! Just a waste of money. - Actually true for the whole of Switzerland.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
11 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Zurich->Lucern->Vitznau->Mt Rigi->Arth Goldau->Zurich

Thanks Maja!

14. Re: Zurich->Lucern->Vitznau->Mt Rigi->Arth Goldau->Zurich

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, February 07, 2014