We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

6 days in Lucurne as home base or split 3 days elsewhere?

CT
Level Contributor
24 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
6 days in Lucurne as home base or split 3 days elsewhere?

Hello People. Love reading this forum! I am planning a trip to Europe with my family (kids 12 and 9) in August. Excluding travel days, 3 full days Amsterdam, 5 Paris and 6 Lucerne. Flying out of Zurich next day. Kids are great travelers. I've always dreamed of going to Switzerland. Looking most forward to beautiful vistas, hikes, quaint towns. I was thinking of staying in Lucerne as a home base for all 6 days, but now I am thinking that maybe I should split the 6 days up, 3 in Lucerne and 3 elsewhere; maybe west towards Berne or south to Lugano or Zermatt. Would really appreciate the thoughts of the knowing.

Goldau, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Lucerne, Zug, Brunnen
Level Contributor
13,967 posts
287 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 6 days in Lucurne as home base or split 3 days elsewhere?

Hi DaveR-CT

Great to hear that there are people who like to read the forum!

Before you decide to choose a second base, you should look at www.luzern.com and the Top Questions about Lucerne (TA Lucerne forum) to find out what covers your family's interests. If you do not find enough for the six days you wanted to stay, you could consider to visit the Bernese Oberland - see www.myjungfrau.ch www.adelboden.ch www.kandersteg.ch www.haslital.ch etc - where there is also mor to see and to do than you can do in six days.

A great excursion which is not mentioned on the top questions about Lucerne is a trip by rail and bus to Sörenberg, the cable car up to Brienz Rothorn and down the other side by steam train to Brienz from where you can continue by boat or train to Interlaken Ost and back to Lucerne via the scenic Brünig Line. I will add this to point 6 of the Top Questions about Lucerne once I have more time for it.

Happy planing

pore

2. Re: 6 days in Lucurne as home base or split 3 days elsewhere?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:17 am, December 17, 2013