We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mt Pilatus - a few questions

Boston
Level Contributor
59 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Mt Pilatus - a few questions

Am planning on coming to Mt Pilatus next weekend from Lucerne. Will buy a Golden Ticket and had a few questions

1. Better to buy at train station or hotel?

2. Better to go up by cog and down by gondola or opposite?

3. Any recommendations on where to eat at the top?

4. Is Alpnachstad worth spending some time in?

5. What hikes at the top should we make sure we do (reasonably fit people)

Thanks so much!!

Seattle, Wa
Level Contributor
142 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mt Pilatus - a few questions

I think you are at least as well off buying at the train station. Any mountain experience is totally weather-dependent so at the very least don't buy the ticket earlier than right before you go up.

Many people on this forum recommend going up by gondola and down by the cogwheel train because there can be a bit of a wait to ascend at the Alpnachstad station. You'll probably have to wait for the cable car between the summit and Frakmuntegg no matter which direction, and you may have to wait for the train at the top of the mountain as well. I went with my mom in June 2011 and I took us up the cogwheel train and down the cable car / gondola. At Frakmuntegg (where you switch between the cable car and gondola) there is a toboggan run and a ropes course and I wanted to be stopping there later in the day so that there was more of a chance that people would be doing those things. There were quite a few teens and young adults climbing around the ropes course and we enjoyed watching them. If you would not be paralyzed by fear of heights (like me) you might even want to do it!

Check out the hotel restaurants and just choose one that looks good and you can afford. There is quite a nice terrace at Hotel Pilatus-Kulm. We ate in the cafeteria-style restaurant at the Hotel Bellevue, which also has an outdoor terrace. We had sausage, rosti, sauerkraut and apple cake with vanilla sauce. We had a Swiss Pass but when buying our reduced-price tickets to Pilatus we got some sort of excursion fare that included two 10CHF vouchers to spend on food at the summit so it was quite a bargain!

I can't find a link to the brochure that you will be able to find there but there are about 5 easy-to-medium hikes in and around the summit, 15-45 minutes depending. A couple of them go in a tunnel through the mountain where there are a number of paintings of dragons inspired by the legends surrounding Mt. Pilatus and the lake. There are also much longer trails up and down the mountain that would require more serious preparation and equipment.

Boston
Level Contributor
59 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mt Pilatus - a few questions

Thanks so much K2DangerGirl!

Goldau, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Lucerne, Zug, Brunnen
Level Contributor
14,421 posts
289 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mt Pilatus - a few questions

Hi mp110

I just want to ad one information for you:

4. Is Alpnachstad worth spending some time in?

I would take the boat (or if you are in a hurry the train) to Hegiswil and visit the Glas factory and museum - www.glasi.ch - there. It is more attrctive than Alpnachstad in my opionion. It is also a great oportunity to buy some souvenirs from the cheaper secnd hand shop.

For more information about Mt.Pilatus look at the Top Questions about Lucerne (right side of your actual screen) and on www.pilatus.ch

pore

4. Re: Mt Pilatus - a few questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:19 pm, December 15, 2013