We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help! Plan my day trip to Lucerne...please!!

Which Lucerne hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
West Sussex, UK
12 posts
Save Topic
Help! Plan my day trip to Lucerne...please!!

I will be travelling from Basel on a Saturday (either in late January or early February) for a day trip. Can anyone recommend anywhere to go, what to see and anywhere for a fondue?

Will the boat be a good option, and which towns would you recommend tht we get off at??

Thanks

Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
Level Contributor
13,718 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help! Plan my day trip to Lucerne...please!!

I am not sure about Luzern, but at least in Zürich there are fondue cruises on the lake, in the evening - you might try to connect both (although it will be probably more expensive than on terra firma). Look up at www.lakelucerne.ch/index.cfm?page=212&lang=D (sorry, only in german).

Luzern is so small you don't need a lot of planning...

Wichita, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Wichita, Kansas
Level Contributor
4,081 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help! Plan my day trip to Lucerne...please!!

The Lake Lucerne SGV website is in English at www.lakelucerne.ch/index.cfm?page=351&lang=E

There are daily lunch cruises. Fondue cruises are on Friday evenings but there are breakfast and brunch Sunday cruises. www.lakelucerne.ch/index.cfm?page=212&lang=E

Other Lucerne [Luzern] websites are

www.luzern.org/first-visit-001-9901-en.htm

the-best-of-lake-lucerne.ch/e/excursions_e.h…

The restaurant Old Swiss House has been mention on TA but it expensive. www.oldswisshouse.ch/index.php…

London
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: Help! Plan my day trip to Lucerne...please!!

Great to hear you are in Switzerland. You have to get yourself to Urmiberg (http://www.urmiberg.ch/) and have the best fondue you can find. A glorious mountain and a fantastic restaurant. It is about 40 minutes from Zurich and worth the visit. When you arrive, there is a bubble lift that gets you to the top of the world, where the restaurant is. You have a fabulous view and a fun Swiss restaurant. Enjoy.

Switzerland
Level Contributor
605 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help! Plan my day trip to Lucerne...please!!

Urmiberg? Wow! When were you there last? They've recently had an ownership change although that certainly doesn't mean that they don't do fondue.

To reach Urmiberg, you need to go to Brunnen. It's about a two kilometer walk to the cable car. I don't know if the bus will take you there or not.

Urmiberg is this small restaurant located next to the top of the lift. There is only one restaurant there because there is no room for anything else. The view of the Vierwaldstättersee and the Urner mountains is incredible.

Hmmm...which reminds me...maybe I should give it a visit again soon too.

West Sussex, UK
12 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Help! Plan my day trip to Lucerne...please!!

Thanks for all the suggestions, this is a fantastic forum for information.

West Sussex, UK
12 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Help! Plan my day trip to Lucerne...please!!

My understanding of german is very bad, and I don't understand the opening times on this page: http://www.urmiberg.ch/seilbahn/seilbahn.html

could someone please translate for me??

Is it the restaurant that is only open between 20 February and 6th March, will the cable car be open for the weekend of 28th January??

Please help!

Thanks!

Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
Level Contributor
13,718 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help! Plan my day trip to Lucerne...please!!

"Betriebsferien" means business closure.

Betriebsferien

20. Feb - 06. Maerz

06. Nov - 28. Nov

-> the cable car and the restaurant will be closed from Feb 20 to March 6

West Sussex, UK
12 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Help! Plan my day trip to Lucerne...please!!

Thats fantastic....thanks very much