We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time switzerland in July

Which Lucerne hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
california
Level Contributor
796 posts
1 review
Save Topic
First time switzerland in July

we are planning on a 12 days trip in July ( London-Paris- Switzerland). We plan to spend 4 days in switzerland. We are looking at either Lucerne or Interlaken. Would appreciate any suggestions. I have posted same question at the Interlaken Forum. Thanks!

Lucerne, Switzerland
Level Contributor
44 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time switzerland in July

I think the answer completely depends on what you are looking to take out of your 4 days. Interlaken is very touristy (Lucerne is too, of course) and will be peaking in July. With that said there's plenty to do there: white water rafting, hiking and of course, taking in Jungfrau.

Lucerne is more of a proper city and offers more in the way of accommodations, restaurants and easy access to other sites. If I were advising a friend coming to visit, I would likely advice you to base yourself in Lucerne and take a day trip to Interlaken.

Of course, as a resident of Lucerne, I may be a bit biased :)

california
Level Contributor
796 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: First time switzerland in July

With 4 days in switzerland, I would like to get the feel of being in the mountains/alps as I have seen in the movies/ Dvd. I definitely would be going to Jungfrau. With both Lucerne and Interlaken being touristy in July, my decision would be based on the accomodation. If I could find something that would cost $ 150/night or less that would be good.I still have to check .That said, would one city be a little less touristy than the other as in Lucerne versus Interlaken? Thanks so much for your suggestions.

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Level Contributor
13,069 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First time switzerland in July

Hi agnescalifornia,

You may want to opt for a great choice -- stay in one of the car-free mountain villages above Interlaken, either Wengen or Mürren. Because the tour busses literally cannot get there, these villages are relatively peaceful and calm, even in July and August. They lie right in the mountains with views over to the peaks rather than up to the peaks. Wengen is right on the way to the Jungfraujoch, so that might be a greach choice.

For good hotels, take a look at the Bären in Wengen, which has been posted about here.

For more info, take a look at

www.myjungfrau.ch

Have fun!

s

Edited: 12:32 pm, February 15, 2010
california
Level Contributor
796 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: First time switzerland in July

Hi, I will certainly check it out. Thanks!

5. Re: First time switzerland in July

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:23 am, August 15, 2010