We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which Mt. Trip in mid/late Sept. - Pilatus or Rigi?

Willow Grove, PA
Level Contributor
82 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Which Mt. Trip in mid/late Sept. - Pilatus or Rigi?

Staying in Luzerne for a couple days. Need to choose just one and both sound great?! Info books seem to say better "vistas" from Pilatus, but more "beautiful" from Rigi. Also, are there any great differences in "getting to" and "returning from" each Mt. back to Luzerne - both seem to need some form of boat/train/tram/bus, etc. Info books also suggest going up one side and down the other - agree, yes or no? Would lunch be available at top of both?

Another thought: is it worth taking a day trip, by train, to Interlaken- or can you suggest another "day trip"?

Thanks, in advance.

Mentioned in this post
Interlaken
Interlaken
Bernese Oberland, Switzerland
california
Level Contributor
183 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which Mt. Trip in mid/late Sept. - Pilatus or Rigi?

I just posted the following for another party and hope it helps you.

Re: Mt Pilatus

We did the round trip (boat, cog wheel, cable car, bus) in September. I had forgotten that I had read that it is sometimes best to do this in reverse order(bus, cable car, cog wheel, boat) as there are less tourists going in the opposite direction. Unfortunately, I did not remember this until we were standing deep in a very long line for way over an hour after departing the boat, waiting for the cog wheel (I think it was called the cog wheel). Anyway, when we came down on the cable car, we did not see the lines of tourists trying to get up the mountain. To do it again, I would definitely go this way.

st posted this reply to another party asking the same question.

There is a wonderful restaurant on top off which we had a delicious swiss fondue

Mentioned in this post
Mount Pilatus
Mount Pilatus
4,859 Reviews
Lucerne, Switzerland
2. Re: Which Mt. Trip in mid/late Sept. - Pilatus or Rigi?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:17 am, August 09, 2010