We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train times

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Topic
Train times

Hello Everyone,

I recently did a post on which mountain to see when in Lucerne and now I have a question about the train times.

I will be travelling from Paris to Lucerne and our train leaves Paris at 6:24am and arrives in Basel at 9:53. Then departs at 11:05 and arrives in Lucerne at 12:05pm.

However there is another train departing from Basel at 10:03 and arriving an hour earlier in Lucerne, seeing as every minute counts and this extra hour would benefit us on our trip I am thinking of going this route.

I am concerned about whether or not I will I make it to the other train in 10 minutes? Does anyone know the train station in Basel well enough to be able to tell me if I could make the change? There will be three adults so if nec we can run.

If it helps my train # arriving in Basel is 2169 and the departing # is 9201.

Thanks for any help that anyone can give me.

Take Care. :)

Seattle
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
8,949 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train times

Lizzy---where did you get your train schedule? RailEurope?

if you use the Swiss rail site to see that journey, it shows the one you want---arriving in Basel on TGV # 9201 at 9:53, and departing on IR# 2169 at 10:03. You come in on track 6 and depart on track 11, so it isn't far.

However, it doesn't run every day--for example, the website says it does not run on Saturday or Sunday. I didn't know what day you are traveling so I just chose a random on in mid-week.

You can check for your actual date at

www.sbb.ch

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Train times

Enzian,

Yes, I did use the Rail Europe site I foolishly thought it was the only one to use.

I will be travelling on a Tuesday, August 26th. I will take a look at the site and see what times are available. It would be great if we could prevent losing that hour!

Thanks for your help, I really appreciate it!

:)

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Train times

oops! I meant Wednesday August 26th. ;)

France
Level Contributor
1,992 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train times

There are many trains between Basel and Lucerne every hour, so after arriving at Basel just get on the next one to Lucerne.

Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
Level Contributor
13,764 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train times

>I am concerned about whether or not I will I make it to the other train in 10 minutes?

You certainly can try. If your train arrives in the main hall of Basel SBB station, 10 min are plenty of time without any running. If it arrives in the SNCF station (a side hall), your chances to get the train are 50:50 IMO. But you don´t have to decide now, just try.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Train times

Thanks altamiro, I will certainly try my hardest to get to that train. Lets hope it is in the same main hall!

:)

7. Re: Train times

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, January 02, 2010