We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lucerne from Florence in a day

Northern California
Level Contributor
14 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Lucerne from Florence in a day

Is it too much to go for the day to Lucerne from Florence? Or should we stay overnight in Lucerne and head back to Florence. Our trip is actually from San Francisco to Rome (naples, sorrento, pompeii, Florence, Santa Margherita, Venice) from 10-15 through 11/14. Thanks for your help.

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Zermatt
Level Contributor
17,541 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lucerne from Florence in a day

Hi, are you driving or taking the train? It's a six hour drive without any stops and you will have to buy the Swiss vignette (a sticker you put on the windshield) that costs 40 SF or about $40 at the current exchange rate. If by train, it's a 6 1/2 to 7 hour trip with at least on change in Milan.

Seems a bit much for a day trip! You would no more than get there and you'd have to turn around to head back! Even an overnight trip would be more time spent travelling than in Lucerne.

You can get driving maps and directions at

michelin.com

just click on the far right box

Train schedules in Englich are at

www.sbb.ch/en

Enjoy your trip.

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Level Contributor
13,220 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lucerne from Florence in a day

Hi mcllosm,

If it's not too late, maybe you can change your flights to land in Zürich and then return from Rome. It's called "open jaw," and it usually doesn't cost much more than a simple round trip. You can find these using the "multiple destination" tag on the airlines' sites.

Anyway, Luzern is only an hour from the Zürich airport, so it's very easy to get there. That way, you could spend a day or two in Luzern, then continue your journey south to Italy.

Good luck!

s

Northern California
Level Contributor
14 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lucerne from Florence in a day

Thanks so much for the info. I already purchased the Italy tickets; Lucerne is an afterthought; but I might change my itinerary go to Lucerne and spend less time in Rome or Santa Margherita (I have no hotels reserved yet); I'd rather not be stressed and have a relaxing month, since that's the amount of time we'll be travelling en total.

Thanks again.

4. Re: Lucerne from Florence in a day

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:17 am, September 26, 2009