We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lucerne in March

Which Lucerne hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Kitchener, Canada
Level Contributor
24 posts
95 reviews
Save Topic
Lucerne in March

I have an opportunity to be in Lucerne for the weekend of March 8-9. Arriving Friday night by train from Basel. Leaving late Sunday afternoon by train for an overnight stay in Zurich with a 10:00am international flight out of Zurich on Monday morning. I will be on my own.

I would like to see as mush as possible. Not sure what will be open in the winter? Mt. Rigi and Mt. Pilatus both sound very interesting. Sounds like the weather plays an important role in determineing if it is worth going to the top of either mountain.

I am 45, reasonably fit, a competent good cross country skier and enjoy outdoor & adventure activites. I like taking photos. Not really into museums. Prefer to venture out on my own.

Any suggestions?

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Level Contributor
13,107 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lucerne in March

Hi cz63,

Have you found the Rigi & Pilatus websites? They are at www.rigi.ch and www.pilatus.ch. They used to have great detailed hikes (with maps, etc) online, so you may want to look for those. (I prefer to be kind of wandering around the mountainside instead of just standing at the top gazing off -- so I would still go if it were foggy)

Unless it's really raining down, you could rent a bike and cycle around the lake. You can rent them at the train station in Luzern as well as in Weggis (probably Vitznau also). I would rent in Luzern and cycle to Weggis, etc.

Or maybe just visit the lakeside villages of Weggis & Vitznau. Information at www.weggis.ch and www.vitznau.ch.

Wish I had more information about outdoor activities in the area, sorry! You may be able to find more stuff at the city's tourist site,

www.luzern.org

Have fun!

s

Kitchener, Canada
Level Contributor
24 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lucerne in March

Hi swandav,

Thanks for your quick response. I have looked at several of the websites. I have also seen several videos on Youtube of Mount Pilatus. It looks like there is a path/stairs that you can take to the summit. Do you know if they close these paths in the winter?

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Level Contributor
13,107 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lucerne in March

Hi again,

Probably not. If they do close them, I bet the closing dates will be on the website.

s

4. Re: Lucerne in March

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:15 am, September 20, 2009