We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lake Luzern - Accommodation Apartment Recommendations

Which Lucerne hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Australia
Level Contributor
53 posts
Save Topic
Lake Luzern - Accommodation Apartment Recommendations

Hello

Just new to Trip Asdvisor and havev been finding it most helpful in planning my first European trip fromn Australia with my family - this is my first post and have a coupe of questions I hope someone can assist.

TRIP 2nd Week in April 2008

Singapore 1 Day

Paris 7 Days

Switzerland (Luzern) 3 Days

Venice 3 Days

Florence 3 Days

Amalfie Coast (Positano) 4 Days

Rome 3 Days

1. I am looking for a self catered apartment for 2 adlts and 2 tenage children in Lucerne(Foldout bed is fine for kids) . Have booked all my other apartments for the other locations via Holday Velvet and Haven in Paris but cant seem to find anything in available in Lucerne?

2. Am considering possibly staying at Weggis as it seems a little cheaper - What is the travel distance in time and how difficult is it to travel btween Weggis & Lucerne? and are there any other Lake towns that are reccommended alternatives to Lucerne for 3 days- we will be using local transport.

3. As an alternative I am considering the Hotel Krone which is one of the only hotels with a 4 bedded room but not my pref. any advice on this hotel or any oyther that could accommodate us would be appreciated?

Wimborne Minster...
Destination Expert
for Lugano
Level Contributor
5,495 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lake Luzern - Accommodation Apartment Recommendations

Have you tried Apart-Hotel Utoring an der Reuss in Luzern?

See:- www.interhome.com.au

Knoxville, TN
Destination Expert
for Interlaken
Level Contributor
4,691 posts
292 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lake Luzern - Accommodation Apartment Recommendations

We loved Weggis because it's a little lakeside village at the base of Mt Rigi. There are boat connections on Lake Luzern to get to Luzern, Mt Pilatus, etc.

Weggis is not know for it's convenient transportation connections, however it's not bad at all. We stayed in the Hotel Gotthard in their family room. It was perfect, and they have absolutely the best food anywhere that we've ever been...yes, it's that good.

Stay away from the Hotel Central Am See - owners not very friendly and food is mediocre at best but the same high price as Hotel Gotthard.

While in the area do visit Mt Pilatus and try out the Summer Luge which is the longest in all of Switzerland.

Remember that if your kids are less than 16 years old they travel for free with you wherever you go in Switzerland.

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Level Contributor
13,067 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lake Luzern - Accommodation Apartment Recommendations

Hi LemAustralia,

I also stayed in the sweet little town of Weggis and liked it very much.

But I do have to note the transportation issues -- I was there in November, and the ferries between Luzern & Weggis were running at a very reduced schedule. I think there were maybe only two or three ferries every day. So, for my day-trips, I usually took the bus-train combination, which became cumbersome after a while. I think you'll find the same thing in April.

You can get the exact ferry schedule (usually a downloadable pdf) at this site:

www.lakelucerne.ch

Make sure you find the Spring schedule.

As for accommodation, you may also want to look at a B&B, and search at this site:

www.bnb.ch

Have fun!

s

Knoxville, TN
Destination Expert
for Interlaken
Level Contributor
4,691 posts
292 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lake Luzern - Accommodation Apartment Recommendations

Actually you can check out all transports from Weggis to Luzern (and everywhere else) on www.sbb.ch which I just did and it looks like there is a departure to Luzern about every 30 minutes with buses/trains/boats included.

Just keep in mind that Weggis is not a "happening" place...no museums or monuments or gothic cathedrals...just a nice quiet lakeside resort town.

Rome, Italy
9 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Lake Luzern - Accommodation Apartment Recommendations

Just returned from Positano with my family,we rented for 5 days a nice apartment with 2 bedrooms at villa fiorentino,it was the third time for us,they have nice accommodations with beautiful views located just few minutes walk from the center,watch on their website all fotogallery : www.villafiorentino.com

I hope can you find still availability for April.

London, United...
Level Contributor
108 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lake Luzern - Accommodation Apartment Recommendations

Check out Hotel Alpenblick, fantastic view of the lake and opposite Migros the supermarket. 5 minute walk to Steamer port and 45 minutes to Lucerne. You can walk into any restaurant in nearby hotels or the restaurant in the hotel itself.

7. Re: Lake Luzern - Accommodation Apartment Recommendations

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:18 pm, September 21, 2009