We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lucerne

Which Lucerne hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London
1 post
Save Topic
Lucerne

Is it possible to do Pilatus and Titlis in one day. Help would be appreciated.

If they can be done, any idea of how should I be planning my trip.

Kent, England
Level Contributor
1,768 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Lucerne

The short answer in my opinion is a definite NO. If you want to spend any length of time on summit of either mountain.

If all you want to do is go up and down then possibly. Titlis is an hours train ride from Lucerne in Engleberg, itself a rather nice village to wander through and then if I remember correctly at least 30 minutes to go up in the cable cars. So add that to the train journey walking from Engleberg station to the cable car station and waiting for the cable cars, I would say that would take a leisurely day out from Lucerne.

Pilatus, round trip, either boat to Alpnachstad and rack railway up again I think off the top of my head the boat trip is an hour the rail trip almost an hour, then the return journey by cable car and gondola down to Kriens and the bus ride back to Lucerne city centre at least another hour.

Add to this the time spent waiting for the train from Lucerne to Engleberg and back and then the journey either to Kriens or Alpnachstad, not all trains on the Brunig route stop there.

Check on the web sites for all three mountains for timings etc.

My suggestion would be to each trip on a separate day if you can. Don't forget Lucerne's other mountain Rigi well worth a trip for the views of the Lake from the top. This can also be a round trip either by train to Arth-Goldau and then by the rack railway from there and back on the train to either Vitznau or Weggis.

Thibodaux, Louisiana
10 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Lucerne

Swisslover,

In your opinion, is Pilatus and Rigi too much for one day as well?

Thanks

Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
Level Contributor
13,713 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lucerne

Any two separate mountains are too much for one day unless you have a helicopter.

4. Re: Lucerne

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:19 am, September 07, 2009