We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best places to visit in Switzerland

Southern California
Level Contributor
242 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Best places to visit in Switzerland

We will be coming from Salzburg, Austria and would like to travel through Switzerland. We would like to go by train and stop in several places like Lucerne for one. What places should we plan on visiting in Switzerland?

Mentioned in this post
Salzburg
Salzburg
Salzburg Region, Austria
Lucerne
Lucerne
Canton of Lucerne, Switzerland
London
Level Contributor
8,329 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best places to visit in Switzerland

Chateau de Chillon near Montreux on lake Geneva is my favourite tourist site in Switzerland: http://www.chillon.ch/en/

What kinds of things do you enjoy doing? Museums, lakes, high mountains, cities, hiking? Would you prefer to stay in German speaking areas? How long is your trip going to be? If you give us some more information this will help.

Mentioned in this post
Chateau de Chillon
Chateau de Chillon
3,555 Reviews
Veytaux, Switzerland
Montreux
Montreux
Canton of Vaud, Switzerland
Lake Geneva
Lake Geneva
6,699 Reviews
Geneva, Switzerland
Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Level Contributor
13,344 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best places to visit in Switzerland

Hi StarWatcher,

Most first-timers enjoy the mountains & mountain villages of the Berner Oberland (Wengen, Muerren, Grindelwald). These are south of the city of Interlaken.

Otherwise, hoping to hear more about your expectations for this trip!

s

Mentioned in this post
Wengen
Wengen
Jungfrau Region, Switzerland
Grindelwald
Grindelwald
Jungfrau Region, Switzerland
Interlaken
Interlaken
Bernese Oberland, Switzerland
Southern California
Level Contributor
242 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best places to visit in Switzerland

We want to see the beautiful scenery we've heard so much about switzerland, the beautiful villages, and interesting places to visit. We like to stroll and walk, but are not on this trip for hiking. Some points of interest would be nice, but don't have to see a bunch of museums and churches. (Have done enough of that to last a lifetime!) I've been told to go to Lucerne for sure, and Bern. What do you all think....many thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Lucerne
Lucerne
Bern
Bern
Bern Mittelland District, Switzerland
Southern California
Level Contributor
242 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best places to visit in Switzerland

Also, we will be traveling by train from Austria, so which trains, and what do you all recommend? Should we travel down to Geneva and then Fly home from there?

Mentioned in this post
Austria
Austria
Europe
Geneva
Geneva
Canton of Geneva, Switzerland
Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
13,344 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best places to visit in Switzerland

Hi StarWatcher,

Well, you're in luck -- as really the whole of Switzerland is incredibly beautiful with great scenery and picturesque villages.

The bad news is that it's a huge haul from Austria to Luzern, and you didn't say where in Austria you're coming from. So, for example, the trip from Vienna to Luzern takes 10-12 hours; from Salzburg it'll take 6-8 hours.

I suggest you consider a stop in the eastern portion of Switzerland, the past closest to Austria, especially around the beautiful Engadin valley. The trip from Salzburg to Chur is 5-6 hours. Now, the Engadin is a unique and different part of Switzerland -- no brown wood chalets here. Its architecture is of ancient stone, and the houses and buildings are decorated with colorful sgraffiti. Of course, the mighty Engadin mountains are there, and this is the sunniest part of Switzerland. Another good thing is that a lot fewer American tourists find their way here, and when I spent a week in the town of Zuoz, I didn't see a single souvenir shop.

For more information on the Engadin, see this recent magazine article:

www.concierge.com/cntraveler/articles/detail…

From the Engadin, you can continue on to Luzern or to Bern and the Bernese Oberland or another area of Switzerland.

For more information on these areas, see

www.engadin.ch

www.luzern.org

For train schedules, see www.rail.ch.

For your departure, Zurich airport is the larger one, and most international flights are there. The Zurich airport is very close to Luzern, about an hour by direct train. No need to head to Geneva unless you simply want to see it.

s

Mentioned in this post
Austria
Austria
Europe
Lucerne
Lucerne
Vienna
Vienna
Vienna Region, Austria
Salzburg
Salzburg
Salzburg Region, Austria
Chur
Chur
Canton of Graubunden, Switzerland
Bern
Bern
Bern Mittelland District, Switzerland
Bernese Oberland
Bernese Oberland
Canton of Bern, Switzerland
Zurich Airport
Zurich Airport
Zurich, Switzerland
Geneva
Geneva
Canton of Geneva, Switzerland
Southern California
Level Contributor
242 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best places to visit in Switzerland

Thank you! We will be traveling from Salzburg. So we dont mind taking the train and viewing the gorgeous scenery. Just want to spend maybe one night in each place. Want to see the best switzerland has to offer. What about the matterhorn? Is it very far from Luzern? And what about Grindlewald? Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Salzburg
Salzburg
Salzburg Region, Austria
Lucerne
Lucerne
Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
13,344 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best places to visit in Switzerland

Hi StarWatcher,

Now is the time to start using the Swiss rail site (www.rail.ch) to research each of your trips.

The Matterhorn is just outside of Zermatt.

The correct spelling is "Grindelwald," and it's south of Interlaken.

I usually limit my day-trips to two hours in each direction or else I've forgotten the best before I even get back to my base town.

Also remember that you lose half a day each time you move your base, what with packing up & checking out, then checking in & unpacking. Remember, too, that the faster you travel, the less you see & remember. I recommend that you stay in one place for three nights.

I see that you want to see "it all," but I don't think you'll really enjoy it. I've been to Switzerland about 14 times since 1995 and still haven't seen it all.

Good luck!

s

Mentioned in this post
The Matterhorn
The Matterhorn
3,272 Reviews
Zermatt, Switzerland
Zermatt
Zermatt
Canton of Valais, Switzerland
Grindelwald
Grindelwald