We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Base Zurich. Visit Lucerne. Unwise?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
102 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Base Zurich. Visit Lucerne. Unwise?

Here is my specific situation. Munich>Lucerne>Bernina>Glacier>Zermatt>Interlaken>Geneva.

End of May, starting from Munich by train early morning. Thereafter I can stay 2 nights either in Zurich or Lucerne. Then need to continue to Chur for Bernina. Should I stay these 2 nights in Zurich or in Lucerne?

I want to visit either Rigi or Pilatus or both if you guys say it's possible. Not interested in titlis. And Lucerne town, no museums.

Canton of Schwyz...
Destination Expert
for Lucerne, Zug, Brunnen
Level Contributor
16,747 posts
291 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Base Zurich. Visit Lucerne. Unwise?

Hi London_1st_Time

Why do you not stay closer to Chur or along the Albula line which is part of the Glacier Express?

Bernina Express goes from Chur to Tirano (Italy)

Glacier Express goes from St. Moritz via Chur to Zermatt

pore

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
102 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Base Zurich. Visit Lucerne. Unwise?

Thank you Pore for replying. Wouldn't that be too difficult to visit Lucerne Then?

Are you suggesting I put up closer to chur coming from Munich and do the trips from there until I depart for Zermatt?

Canton of Schwyz...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
16,747 posts
291 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Base Zurich. Visit Lucerne. Unwise?

As you do want to travel with the Bernina Express and the Glacier Express Lucerne is out of the area you are planning to visit. The only way to do all on your wish list is in my opinion if you have 2 weeks to spend in Switzerland. Do you?

pore

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
102 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Base Zurich. Visit Lucerne. Unwise?

I have modified and posted this itinerary in another thread. But here it is, please let me know what you think.

Also, based on the below itinerary, Is a Half Fare card going to be more economical than a swiss pass?

Day 1-> Start from Salzburg hotel-> Drive to berchtesgaden-> drive to dachau-> drive to Munich-> Drop rental car-> Fly to Milan-> Train to either verrano or bellagio-> Crash

Day 2-> Sightseeing Lake Como from one of the public ferries -> Train to Tirano -> Take Bernina to St. Moritz-> Crash

Day 3-> Walk the lake front-> Take the Glacier Express to Zermatt-> Crash

Day 4-> Zermatt- Stay

Day 5-> Zermatt to Lucerne by the fastest connection-> Lucerne town tour without visiting any museums. -> Stay

Day 6-> Mount rigi or pilatus

Day 7-> Golden pass to Interlaken

Day 8-> Berner Oberland/Jungfrauch area

Day 9-> Berner Oberland/Jungfrauch area

Day 10-> Berner Oberland/Jungfrauch area

Day 11-> Golden Pass/ any other to Montreaux and Finally to Geneva

Day 12-> Fly to next destination

Canton of Schwyz...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
16,747 posts
291 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Base Zurich. Visit Lucerne. Unwise?

Hi London_1st_Time

This is extremely ambitious and you will not have a lot of time for sightseeing. As beautiful Lucerne is, the real beauty is in the area.

pore

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
102 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Base Zurich. Visit Lucerne. Unwise?

Thanks Pore. But we always remain busy while travelling. I think 4 days in the interlaken area would give us some time to breath easy. I am most concerned about the first day and rushing in the zermatt area.

Canton of Schwyz...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
16,747 posts
291 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Base Zurich. Visit Lucerne. Unwise?

Day 1 will be very expensive because you rent a car in Austria and you return it in Germany (one way fee). You can check travel times on a online map, I prefer to use www.viamichelin.com as the travel times are very real but you need to add the breaks.

For a lot of basic information I would warmly recommend to study the Top Questions about Switzerland (TA Switzerland forum). Public transport travel times in Switzerland can be checked on www.sbb.ch/en (look at section 2 of the Top Questions about Switzerland how to use it).

I know, I said it already but you will miss as you will not have time for sightseeing.

pore

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
102 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Base Zurich. Visit Lucerne. Unwise?

Pore- We are actually renting the car in Frankfurt on 19th May, driving through black forest, bavaria to Salzburg and then coming back to Munich to drop it on 26th May. We wanted to drop in Germany, that's why I am coming back to Munich. Otherwise I would have driven to Vienna and dropped it there and flew in.

At this time, I am also considering having the night stay at Milan only, instead of Varrena to save some travel time on that day.

Another question, I am planning for a campsite in Camping Jungfrau at Lauterbrunnen (an airbnb listing). It looks beautiful but I am not sure if I would toil with my 8 year old daughter. That's why considering wengen also as almost everybody is suggesting that, but options are much costlier there. What's your take on this?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
817 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Base Zurich. Visit Lucerne. Unwise?

If Mid Lake Como stays on your list, Varenna is the only town accessible by train. Bellagio is a short ferry ride from there.

IMO your itinerary seems overly ambitious and potentially exhausting (notably for a 6 year old) but you seem to be comfortable with that. Just as a reminder 2 nights in a location only give you one full day.

Edited: 10:59 pm, September 15, 2017
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
102 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Base Zurich. Visit Lucerne. Unwise?

I have modified the itinerary now, still busy but better than before I think.

Day 1-> Start from Salzburg hotel-> Drive to berchtesgaden-> drive to dachau-> drive to Munich-> Drop rental car-> Fly to Milan-> Crash

Day 2-> Train to either verrano -> Visit Bellagio -> Stay

Day 3-> Train to Tirano -> Take Bernina to St. Moritz-> Stay

Day 4-> Take the Glacier Express to Zermatt-> Crash

Day 5-> Zermatt- Stay

Day 6-> Zermatt to Lucerne by the fastest connection-> Lucerne town tour without visiting any museums. -> Stay

Day 7-> Mount rigi or pilatus

Day 8-> Golden pass to Interlaken

Day 9-> Berner Oberland/Jungfrauch area

Day 10-> Berner Oberland/Jungfrauch area

Day 11-> Have a late start-> Golden Pass to Montreaux (stop for 2 hours for seeing the lakeside promenade) and Finally to Geneva

Day 12-> Fly to next destination