We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

help! first time to europe

Which Lucerne hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Park City, Utah
Level Contributor
120 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
help! first time to europe

1. Best way to go from London to Brugge?

2. how far from Brugge to Hannover, Germany?

3.My family of 4 including 2 year old will be traveling from Hannover, Germany to Lucerne on July 2nd. What is the best way? car, train plane?

4.Should we stay anywhere in particular on the way?

5.we have until July 12th before we have to go back to London.

should we stay in Lucerne the whole time and take day trips or

break it up to a couple of different places to stay.

with the little one, we didn't want to do a lot of hotel hopping.

Grateful for any suggestion!

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Level Contributor
13,063 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: help! first time to europe

Hi lasvegasseagull,

Wow, you have a real adventure ahead of you! I sure hope that you have a few weeks for all of this travel. Here are some website to help you plan --

For discount airlines within Europe, look at www.whichbudget.com.

For train schedules within Europe, look at www.rail.ch (the Swiss train folks) or www.bahn.de (the German train folks).

For driving routes within Europe, look at www.viamichelin.com or www.mappy.com.

I think the Longon-Brugge portion will be easy, about 3-4 hours on the Eurostar under the Channel, then changing in Lille.

Brugge to Hannover, however, will be tough as that's about eight hours on the train.

Hannover to Luzern is also a tough one, at 7-8 hours on the train.

Take a look at www.luzern.org, and look especially at the sight-seeing in the region. You have a lot of options: three mountain peaks, the cities of Basel & Zurich, ferry rides on the lakes. If you don't think that will keep you busy enough, then you can think of moving to a base in the Berner Oberland.

Good luck!

s

Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
Level Contributor
13,697 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: help! first time to europe

>1. Best way to go from London to Brugge?

Rather than going via Lille as Swandav suggests, I would rather take an Eurostar to Brussels and a train from there to Brugge.

>3.My family of 4 including 2 year old will be traveling from Hannover, Germany to Lucerne on July 2nd. What is the best way? car, train plane?

Car - only if you want to arrive dead tired and enjoy getting stuck in traffic.

Plane - Air Berlin flies from Hannover to Zürich, if you book early enough you can get really competitive fares.

Day train - there are connections every hour, it will take quite a while though (but at least the kids travel for free), see bahn.de

Night train - there is a daily CityNightLine train from Hamburg to Zürich stopping in Hannover. See www.citynightline.de

>4.Should we stay anywhere in particular on the way?

Hard to suggest anything not knowing what you are interested in.

Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
2,314 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: help! first time to europe

London to Brugge - Eurostar

www.eurostar.com

Change in Brussels, the trip to Brugge is included in the Eurostar ticket. (valid to any station in Belgium). For the best fares book well in advance.

Brugge to Hannover is a long train ride, probably changing in Brussels and Koln. Look at bahn.de for times. You may need tickets on Thalys (thalys.be) to get from Brussels to Koln and these can be booked online and collected at Brussels ststion from the machines. Some trains from Brussels to Koln are on German ICE trains that don't have to be looked in advance.

Hannover to Luzern - Buy in advance on bahn.de or at the station in Hannover. It will be a long day on the train or you could fly as suggested elsewhere. German long distance trains do sometimes have family compartments.

Scotland
Level Contributor
28 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: help! first time to europe

Don't know the answers to 1. 2. or 3.

4. and 5. I would suggest that you divide your time between Lucerne and Interlaken. Not sure what you want to do but if you stayed in these two places you will have a variety of places to visit from each.

Depending on the age of your other child suggest you check out the family rail card. Details on www.swisstravelsystem.com.

Hope this is helpful.

Park City, Utah
Level Contributor
120 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: help! first time to europe

Thank you for your suggestions! This definitely has given me a better idea of travel times to consider.

My travel time is from June 27th from London(after seeing a couple of matches at Wimbledon )until July 13th back to London.

We Must see friends in Hannover for a few days and we MUST go to Switzerland. I have a friend in Brugge but it is optional. My friend in Germany says Belgium is not necessarily a must see. Any imput?

(We love ambience and beatiful cities with water.(rivers, canals, lakes) great food and a little night life.

Perhaps flying straight to Hannover from London would be the fastest and easiest?

unlike a lot of other travelers out there who want to get in as much as they can for the time they are there, we would rather relax and

thouroghly enjoy the areas we are able to get to.

There will be future trips!!

Germany
Level Contributor
2,132 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: help! first time to europe

Brugge is a wonderful old town , much more worth to visit than Hannover.

You should try to visit it

Park City, Utah
Level Contributor
120 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: help! first time to europe

I'm glad to hear that Brugge is worth seeing!

So, any suggestions on the best way to get there from London?

Germany
Level Contributor
2,132 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: help! first time to europe

Best way from London to Brugge is to take the Eurostar train from Waterloo station to Bruxelles-Midi and change there to Brugge.

Whole journey is less than 4 hours. Bruxelles to Brugge is less than 1 hour .

It is also possible to fly from London to Bruxelles, which is cheap with Bruxelles airline : http://www.brusselsairlines.com

Check this link for photos of Brugge :

http://www.cityalbum.de/belgien/brugge.htm

The site is in German, but you only have to click upon the photos to see more.

From Brugge to Hannover the journey by train is about 7 hours by train , you have to change in Bruxelles and Cologne (both cities are worth to visit )

Lufthansa offers direct flights from Bruxelles to Hannover , but normally this is expensive .

Park City, Utah
Level Contributor
120 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: help! first time to europe

molineros,

Thank you for the great information! I will check it out.

10. Re: help! first time to europe

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:20 pm, August 19, 2009