We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

nice small town near Geneva?

Boulder, CO
Level Contributor
19 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
nice small town near Geneva?

I'll be spending a couple of days in Geneva in July before flying out. I can't afford a nice hotel in the city and don't want to stay in an unappealing one just to have a place to crash. Is there a town nearby that might have a nice small hotel or inn, but would still be close enough that I could get to the airport without a car?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
127 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: nice small town near Geneva?

hi

try looking at the towns on the train line towards lausanne...nyon and morges. These places are nice lakeside towns and only 20 mins or so back on the train to Geneva. The train stops at the airport before it gets to Geneva centre from that directions.

someone more local to Geneva may be able to suggest some other options, I live in Lausanne and dont go there much except to use the airport.

good luck

Steve

CAB
Geneva
Level Contributor
291 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: nice small town near Geneva?

Dice88.

What is your accommodation budget ?

It would be a shame to spend a couple of days in Geneva (especially if the first time) and not be downtown.

I know a few hotels outside Geneva and close to the airport, but you would be paying almost the same than for a decent hotel in the city centre.

Hotels is my business. Would be happy to help.

Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
6,293 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: nice small town near Geneva?

A word of warning! I once stayed near the station in Geneva and people were driving around in high powered cars for most of the night. I think I finally got to sleep at about five am.

If you can't afford an expensive hotel in the old town, I would support your idea of staying outside the city.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
127 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: nice small town near Geneva?

as LondonBob says , around Cornavin station is not the nicest part of Geneva

regards

Steve

CAB
Geneva
Level Contributor
291 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: nice small town near Geneva?

I just wish to add to what the above reviewers have written. Indeed the railway station area is not the most attractive, but there is not only the Cornavin district in Geneva that offers hotels. The expensive hotels as mentioned above are not really in the Old Town (there is only 1 hotel in the Old Town; that is the charming Hotel der Armures - Bill Clinton's favourite - and it is in the high price range of hotels), there on the lakeside.

There are enough decent budget to mid-range hotels in Geneva to accommodate your needs. As I said before, would be happy to help.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
88 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: nice small town near Geneva?

Yes, NOTHING near Rue de Berne or in area "Paquis" for that matter. There's an IBIS hotel by the airport for something like 75 bucks a night I believe. Catch the 10 into the city, 15 minutes max. Plus, you'd be right there when you need to leave.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
127 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: nice small town near Geneva?

IBIS are a good cheap pick for hotels, they are a large chain with standards. So maybe not inspiring places but good clean places to crash

regards

Steve