We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

train times and hotel Bristol questions

Scotland
Level Contributor
325 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
train times and hotel Bristol questions

I have a couple of questions to ask. Myself and 2 friends are looking at going to Geneva on Friday 23 March for 2 nights, the flight is arriving at 22.20 - are the trains into Geneva still on at that time and how much would a taxi cost us.?Will anything be open at that time of night - ie bars or restaurants? Also, is the Bristol hotel close to the old town - we were thinking of booking there.

Any information will be great thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Bristol
Bristol
England, UK
Travelling The World
Destination Expert
for Alghero, Melton Mowbray, Elora
Level Contributor
16,106 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: train times and hotel Bristol questions

> are the trains into Geneva still on at that time

Yes. Check the schedule here: www.cff.ch.

> how much would a taxi cost us

Depends where you are going. It's really only worth it if you have lots of luggage.

> Will anything be open at that time of night - ie bars or restaurants

Yes, but things will be winding down as far as restaurants go. You will certainly be able to get something to eat, and bars will be open especially as it's Friday night.

> is the Bristol hotel close to the old town

It is across the river from the Old Town. You will be able to walk there in about 15 minutes, or hop a bus (you will get a free travel card if you ask at your hotel).

Mentioned in this post
Bristol
Bristol
England, UK
bern
Level Contributor
3,487 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: train times and hotel Bristol questions

The last train leaves the airport at 0:12, so no problem. http://www.sbb.ch/en/index.htm

Scotland
Level Contributor
325 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: train times and hotel Bristol questions

Thank you both for replying so quickly. Are there any other hotels you would recommend close to the old town?

Travelling The World
Destination Expert
for Alghero, Melton Mowbray, Elora
Level Contributor
16,106 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: train times and hotel Bristol questions

The best hotel right in the old town is Les Armures.

There are lots of hotels in what is called les rues basses, but the better ones (apart from les Armures) tend to be on the other side of the lake where you are looking. Geneva is a compact city, so I would book the Bristol if you like the look of it.

Mentioned in this post
Les Armures
Les Armures
1,186 Reviews
Geneva, Switzerland
Bristol
Bristol
England, UK
Scotland
Level Contributor
325 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: train times and hotel Bristol questions

I also like the look of Hotel Tiffany - is this closer to the old town than the Bristol?

Mentioned in this post
Tiffany Hotel
Tiffany Hotel
620 Reviews
Geneva, Switzerland
Bristol
Bristol
England, UK
CAB
Geneva
Level Contributor
291 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: train times and hotel Bristol questions

Crazycross,

The Tiffany is probably a bit closer to the Old Town but only by a few minutes.

It's location is different since on the left bank in the Plainpalais district and the access to the Old Town is done from the Place Neuve (main square opposite the Geneva Opera - next to the University park) while from the Bristol, one will climb up into the Old Town from the shopping streets.

Both are very nice hotels. The Bristol is one of the most succesful 4* hotels in Geneva thanks to its perfect location (for leisure and business) and excellent infrastructure and service. While the lobby is a wee stuffy, the rooms were recently renovated and are very nice.

The Tiffany is smaller and quainter and has a more charm. I don't know the rooms, but the reviews are good. The public areas are perfect and part of them were under construction when I last had dinner in their excellent restaurant before Christmas.

You can feel safe in booking either hotel.

Mentioned in this post
Bristol
Bristol
England, UK
Scotland
Level Contributor
325 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: train times and hotel Bristol questions

Many thanks for your information. I am now looking at Hotel de la Paix, as I can get a good rate here - do you have any experience of this hotel. I'm really looking forward to my stay!

CAB
Geneva
Level Contributor
291 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: train times and hotel Bristol questions

The Hôtel de la Paix is just around the corner from the Bristol on the Quai du Mont-Blanc (lakeside).

The hotel underwent a much need full renovation in 2005 and was closed all of that year. It reopened in Jan 2006 under the Concorde Hotels flag. I know the GM very well since we have worked together in the past and he is doing a great job.

While I haven't visited the hotel, the Tripadvisor reviews as well as the locals echoes I have received show that the hotel is very good and you can also safely book this one.

Mentioned in this post
Bristol
Bristol
England, UK
Scotland
Level Contributor
325 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: train times and hotel Bristol questions

Many thanks once again - I will book this hotel. Thanks to people like you and the others who replied - this is a great website.

10. Re: train times and hotel Bristol questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:16 am, August 25, 2009