We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Le Palace Hilton Geneva

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
90 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Le Palace Hilton Geneva

I'm taking the train from Paris to Geneva. I'm looking at staying at the Le Palace Hilton Geneva. How far is the hotel from the train station??

Thanks

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
90 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Le Palace Hilton Geneva

Ok, I got the name from Frommers I see that Hilton doesn't own this property anymore. It's now Grand Hotel Kempinski Geneva.

CAB
Geneva
Level Contributor
291 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Le Palace Hilton Geneva

Dear Shanj33,

Indeed the Palace Hilton, formerly Noga Hilton, is no longer a Hilton but a Kempinski hotel.

It is currently undergoing a much needed renovation and I am not to sure when the work is due to finish. The official opening (according to the KI web site) is Feb 20th.

Should you travel dates be prior to the opening, please kindly let me know what your budget is and I would be pleased to recommend another property.

Geneva in...
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Le Palace Hilton Geneva

If you want modern architecture hotel sort of nearby, there is the President Wilson or the Mandarin Oriental that could be compared to the what was known as the Noga Hilton.

The "Hilton" remains closer to train station than what is mentioned above.

The others (5*) are more like real palaces in the sense of historical buildings with cachet, that is unless you decide to go near UN sector or airport and there you will there find 5* Modern buildings.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
90 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Le Palace Hilton Geneva

My travel dates are April 28-30, 2007. I wil be arriving by train from Paris. I'm not stuck on the Hilton just want something nice and close to things to do, nice restaurants.

Price range $250-400 USD. There are 3 of us in the party would like something with a sofa bed but will accept a room with 2 queen beds.

SJ

CAB
Geneva
Level Contributor
291 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Le Palace Hilton Geneva

SJ,

Your budget allows multiple choice. Both 4* and 5*.

If your visit is over a week-end, you may get an interesting special in one of the charming 5* hotels.

I would highly recommend the Hôtel d'Angleterre (a Red Carnation Hotel and Leading small - 48 rooms, boutique type historical and charming); the Beau-Rivage (the last family owned in GVA, recently renovated; a palace for Kings and Queens; for various reasons, it's my favourite); and the Hôtel de la Paix (reopened in Jan 2006 after full renovation; excellent local and Tripadvisor reviews).

All 3 hotels are lakeside.

The Hôtel des Armures is another 5* option. In the middle of the Old Town, small and very charming.

You may also want to consider a couple of the good 4* hotels; your budget would allow larger type rooms. The Bristol would fit your need so would the charming Tiffany.

Enjoy your stay.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
90 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Le Palace Hilton Geneva

Thanks CAB just looked at the Tiffany and looks really nice and intimate. Bristol is a little bit more per night so won't be able to do that one. I checked into the Manotel group of hotels looked very nice with the different looks but they are booked.

How far is the Tiffany from the lake?? Walking distance?? Is it centrally located?? How far would it be from the train station (taking train from Paris).

Thanks for your insight.

SJ

CAB
Geneva
Level Contributor
291 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Le Palace Hilton Geneva

It is indeed nice and intimate and also offers an excellent restaurant (French bistro/brasserie type - reasonably priced).

The Tiffany has an unusual location since it is one of the few hotels in the Plainpalais district across the Rhône river (on the other side of the Coulouvrenière bridge).

The hotel is 150m away from the Rhône river and the very pleasant walk along the riverside to the lake is approximately 10-15 minutes.

I would say that the walk from the railway station down the boulevard James-Fazy, over the Coulouvrenière bridge is probably around 15mins. However, the 13, 15 and 16 trams all take the same route and the 3rd stop ("Cirque") is 50m away from the hotel. Keep in mind that all visitors staying in a Geneva hotel are entitled to a free public transportation pass for the duration of their stay. The pass will be given to you by the hotel and will not cover the use of public transportation prior to your check-in; so that if you decide to take the tram from Cornavin (www.tpg.ch) on your arrival, you will have to buy a CHF 3 ticket.

I like the location of the Tiffany. It is just behind the very discreet private bank quarter and the Geneva opera house and Victoria Hall concert hall. It is also close to the university and a very nice short stroll away from the Old Town.

I have no doubt that you will enjoy it.

Have fun.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
90 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Le Palace Hilton Geneva

Thanks again CAB,

I've booked the room at the Tiffany, based on the reviews and your information. I'm so excited and looking forward to our time in Geneva. One other question one of our main goals is to buy a nice watch for my fiance. Are we close to shopping or close enough to walk?? Since it will the end of April I'm thinking the weather shouldn't be to cold and we could walk to many places if close.

Thanks again.

CAB
Geneva
Level Contributor
291 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Le Palace Hilton Geneva

Central Geneva is very small and all is within walking distance. So are the watch boutiques and shops.

For a high watch budget, I can recommend 2 shops:

- The Bucherer shop on 26 Quai Général Guisan. You can't miss it, there is a huge Bucherer sign on the builiding. The building is the first one opposite the Mont-Blanc bridge on the left bank (shopping district and Old Town side, and also the Tiffany side). One can say that the Lake starts after the Mont-Blanc bridge. So when you asked me the walking time from the Tiffany to the lake, that would be the 15 mins along the Rhône River and you would automatically come by the Bucherer shop.

- Les Ambassadeurs: in the same block, on the other side from the Bucherer shop.

For lower budget watches (but you will also find pricy ones), I would visit the departments stores, Globus and Manor.

Woops, my meeting is here. I will get back to you later...

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
90 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Le Palace Hilton Geneva

So Tiffany is on the Left Bank, correct?? I'm trying to get it straight, left and right bank.