We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Geneve Restaurants

Madrid
14 posts
Save Topic
Geneve Restaurants

Hello,

Anyone know any cheap restaurants to eat in Geneve??

Thanks

Intensus
$$$$, French, European, Contemporary
ArtyGlaces
$, Italian, Healthy, European
Fiskebar
$$$$, Seafood, European, Scandinavian
Rockford, Illinois
Level Contributor
18 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Geneve Restaurants

Chez ma cousine is my "cafeteria", on place du Bourg-de-Four right across from the tribunal (palais de Justice). half a chicken, potatoes and a green salad are about 13 francs, and I guess about 5 francs for a drink. Unfortunately many people know about it so you might have to wait.

Restaurants offer a "plat du jour" at lunch time, usually between 12 to 18 francs, so if you have a strict budget you might have lunch out and buy a sandwich and an apple for the evening. Migros and Coop offer more and more take-away food, but they are closed in the evening (except on Thursdays)

Manor (a department store not far from the train station) had a cafeteria that was cheap, but they seem to have moved it upstairs and I have not been there since.

Mentioned in this post
Chez Ma Cousine
Chez Ma Cousine
1,937 Reviews
Geneva, Switzerland
Cafe du Bourg de Four
Cafe du Bourg de Four
187 Reviews
Geneva, Switzerland
CAB
Geneva
Level Contributor
291 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Geneve Restaurants

Dear Kaprison,

Please kindly let us know what you mean by cheap.

If you give us a budget range, I would be happy to help.

Madrid
14 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Geneve Restaurants

Hello CAB,

Its possible to eat (dinner) between 20 and 30 chf per person?

For lunch only a sandwich 10 or 15 chf?

Thanks

CAB
Geneva
Level Contributor
291 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Geneve Restaurants

Yes, of course. In fact for CHF 10 -15, you can easily have a hot lunch in one of the public cafeterias, plus in places such as the "Chez ma Cousine" that ldh2 mentioned. Should you want a sandwich, just walk into any local bakers and get yourself a fresh one for less than CHF 8.

The Manora cafeteria/restaurant in the Manor department store is indeed now on the top floor due to construction on the ground floor. This can definitely be an option.

There are 2 major supermarket chains in Switzerland, COOP and Migros; both offer cafeteria/restaurants all around the country and one has a choice of hot dishes from CHF 8 to 15.

Migros has a cafeteria in the "Cygnes" shopping mall opposite the Cornavin railway station. The setting is not great since it is on the -2 level with artificial light, but the food is OK.

On another hand COOP has 2 cafeterias/restaurants in Geneva city centre. One in the "COOP City" department store on the Place de la Fusterie (right in the middle of the shopping district) and one next to the Eaux-Vives district in the "Terrassière COOP City".

There is also a COOP restaurant in the COOP supermarket on the "Rue Montbrillant" next to the United Nations.

"La Praille" shopping mall on the outskirts of Carouge (next to the new football stadium) has a large food court with a variety of specialties.

As for a CHF 20 to CHF 30 dinner. Any Italian will do. A pizza (or Pasta) + 1 glass of wine + a coffee = approx CHF 25.

Should you want something a bit more traditionnal, I would highly recommend the "Bâloise" in the Pâquis district. In addition to some reasonnably priced local specialties, they still serve the multiple choice (usually 3 dishes) lunch menu in the evening (from CHF 16 to CHF 20 + wine or mineral + coffee). The "Bâloise" is a "Brasserie" type restaurant; they will serve anything from sauerkraut to cheese fondue, from local saussages ("longeolles genevoises" to game (it's the season...).

Bon appétit.

Mentioned in this post
Chez Ma Cousine
Chez Ma Cousine
1,937 Reviews
Geneva, Switzerland
Manora
Manora
284 Reviews
Geneva, Switzerland
Cornavin Hotel Geneva
Cornavin Hotel Geneva
868 Reviews
Geneva, Switzerland
Geneva
Geneva
Canton of Geneva, Switzerland
Madrid
14 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Geneve Restaurants

Hello CAB,

Thank you so much for your help.

I'm ansious to go visit Geneve.

Do you recommend same places to visit?

I thought going to Bern, because it is the capital of Switzerland? Do you know what can I visit?

Tanks

Mentioned in this post
Bern
Bern
Bern Mittelland District, Switzerland
CAB
Geneva
Level Contributor
291 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Geneve Restaurants

Most definitely the must-does:

- the United Nations

- the Red Cross Museum

- the Old Town with the Cathedral, the Bourg-de-Four square, the cannons opposite the parliament.

- the University park (Parc des Bastions) with the Reformation Wall.

- the lakeside with the "Jet d'Eau" water fountain the flower clock.

- Carouge

These are the standard classics. However there are many other things to do and visit and I suggest you refer to the Geneva Tourism web site to pick some ideas according to your interest - www.geneva-tourism.ch

For instance, if you like watches, Geneva is the watch capital of the world and I would higly recommend the watchmaking museum as well as the Patek Philippe museum.

As for the Old Town, should you want more specifics (dates, history, etc...) the walking guided tours are very good.

As for day trips, instead of Bern, you may want to visit Lausanne-Vevey-Montreux that are a bit closer and will offer a lot to do including the Olympic Museum in Lausanne:

http://www.montreux-vevey.com/

http://www.lausanne-tourisme.ch

Mentioned in this post
Parc Des Bastions
Parc Des Bastions
562 Reviews
Geneva, Switzerland
Geneva
Geneva
Canton of Geneva, Switzerland
Patek Philippe Museum
Patek Philippe Museum
1,177 Reviews
Geneva, Switzerland
Canton of Bern
Canton of Bern
Switzerland
Lausanne
Lausanne
Canton of Vaud, Switzerland
Vevey
Vevey
Montreux
Montreux
7. Re: Geneve Restaurants

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:20 am, August 18, 2009