We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Waiter at L'Admiral Told me you tip in Switzerland.

Charleston, SC
Level Contributor
38 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Waiter at L'Admiral Told me you tip in Switzerland.

Just got back from a lovely trip to Geneva and Annecy. Had a curious thing happen to me while dining at L'Admiral for lunch one day. The waiter told me in English that tips are not included in restaurant tabs in Switzerland, but they are in France. Was he being honest? I thought tipping was included unless it says it isn't included on the bill.

Knoxville, TN
Destination Expert
for Interlaken
Level Contributor
4,769 posts
316 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Waiter at L'Admiral Told me you tip in Switzerland.

He may have been playing word games with you. The "Service Charge" is included, but the "tip" is anything extra that you want to leave for him.

Kent, England
Level Contributor
1,875 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Waiter at L'Admiral Told me you tip in Switzerland.

I waas always told and the guide books I have read say that tipping is included by law onthe bill in Switzerland. On a personal level a very rarely tip when I am on holiday in Switzerland, I check to see if a tip has been included and if it has feel no compulsion to tip

I think that was a rare occurence of a waiter wanting a tip. Never had it happen to me.

Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
Level Contributor
13,794 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Waiter at L'Admiral Told me you tip in Switzerland.

"Tipping" cannot, by definition, be included anywhere, as it is always voluntary. Technically the waiter was right. However your bill includes about 15 % service charge which is NOT voluntary. You tip if you though the service extraordinary

CAB
Geneva
Level Contributor
291 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Waiter at L'Admiral Told me you tip in Switzerland.

I recently had a conversation with a newly arrived expat who works with Electronic Arts and the word was going around his office (EA have just moved to Geneva) that tipping was not appropriate since service was included.

I was chocked. Some of his colleagues have been in Geneva for several month now, and they should have known that TIPS ARE A STANDARD CUSTOM.

Unless the service was absolutely appalling, one should ALWAYS leave a few coins.

Whether a morning coffee or an afterwork drink, it is appropriate to round up the sum; if the bills is CHF 4.80.-, to leave a 0.20.- in return to a CHF 5.- coin is a basic. It wont kill anybody's budget and will make a happy waiter.

For a "plat du jour" (a lunch menu), a franc or two is the standard.

A party of 4 eating in an Italian would be a tip of CHF 5 or more if in a generous mood.

I had a get together with 12 friends on Tue night. We left CHF 30 + following our excellent cheese fondue.

Whether a tourist or a local, it is a social rule to leave a tip in CH.

5. Re: Waiter at L'Admiral Told me you tip in Switzerland.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:23 am, August 19, 2009