We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

tipping culture

Which Geneva hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Santa Clara
Level Contributor
381 posts
1 review
Save Topic
tipping culture

now i know why people come to switzerland to study hotel management. the chamber maids (or whatever the PC term is) carry a pager each in my hotel! anyway, i left 6 cfh as a tip for the maid but she didn't take it. i wasn't in the room.

1) is 6 chf too little?

2) where should i leave it so she knows it is for her

3) is it even normal to tip?

thanks.

Zurich, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Zurich
Level Contributor
3,088 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: tipping culture

The best place to leave your tip is cerntainly the pillow on the bed - then it's obvious that you left the money on purpose. CHF 6 is not too little, unless you've stayed in the hotel for more than a week. Some people tip, others don't - I personnally normally leave 2-3 CHF per night when I'm satisfied with the service.

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Level Contributor
13,107 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: tipping culture

Hi oregonsixteen,

No, the service help won't take your money! Like oller, I tip about 2 chf/day (the equivalent of $1), and I usually put it inside an envelope and write "merci" or something on it --

s

Santa Clara
Level Contributor
381 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: tipping culture

cool, i'll get an envelope from the reception and write meric on it. then place it on the pillow.

Travelling The World
Destination Expert
for Alghero
Level Contributor
14,580 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: tipping culture

I would write "Pour la femme de chambre" as well just to be clear.

Knoxville, TN
Destination Expert
for Interlaken
Level Contributor
4,728 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: tipping culture

Evidentally Swiss workers are quite well-paid. My father attempted to leave a 25 CHF tip at a restaurant and the waitress would not take it. She said it was too much. She didn't say it in a sheepish "thankful" way, but more as just matter of fact. Imagine that - a country that actually pays a living wage to hotel and restaurant workers. We could sure learn some valuable lessons from this society.

Travelling The World
Destination Expert
for Alghero
Level Contributor
14,580 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: tipping culture

Well in fact tipping is not customary at all in Swiss restaurants. Service is almost always included, and when it's not, there will be a mention "service non compris" as a sign or on the menu. (It always makes me chuckle because "compris" can be translated as "included" or "understood"!)

If you leave anything, it is the small change you get back when paying cash.

CAB
Geneva
Level Contributor
291 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: tipping culture

(Apart from a few GMs, there are no more Swiss working in the hotel industry in Geneva).

Yes it is a common practice to leave a tip in hotels and restaurants.

The CHF 6 was more than reasonable and if you were/are not able to hand it directly to the chamber maid, the envelope is the best way.

For a lunch menu (plat du jour), one should leave a franc or two. The same would apply for a light dinner. For a more elaborate dinner, 1 to 3 francs per person is a standard.

CHF25 for a party of 4 or 5 in a gastronomic restaurant is not unreasonable.

In all cases if the service is bad to awfull, don't leave a penny and don't go back.

If you order a CHF 8.90 beer in a pub and pay with a CHF 10 note, leave the waitress/waiter the CHF 0.10; it wont kill your budget and will make a happy person.

Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
Level Contributor
13,713 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: tipping culture

Well, a waiter is paid about 25 Fr per hour in Zürich. It is considered roughly the minimum wage, although there is no such legal definition (at least not in ZH).

Zurich, Switzerland
Level Contributor
987 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: tipping culture

The going wage without appprenticeship is about CHF. 18.--

Minimun wage with appprenticeship incl.10 years workexperience is CHF 4280.-- (~ CHF 25.--)

Of course tips will amount to a higher salary.

Seattle
Level Contributor
42,206 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: tipping culture

The suggestions above for tipping a room maid go for anywhere in the world. Leave it on the pillow &/or with a note of thanks. 6CHF seems fine.

As far as restaurants (I regularly stay with a friend in Montreux) she seems to just round up the bill and leave the change, rather than tip a percent of the bill (as you would in the U.S.).