We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

7 days in geneva

Which Geneva hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Santa Clara
Level Contributor
381 posts
1 review
Save Topic
7 days in geneva

hi,

here i am, in a hotel near gare cornavin. :) with no plans whatsoever. i'll spend the next few days exploring geneva. jet d'eau, musees, churches, etc...

does it make sense to take day trips to zurich? or interlaken? or overnight trips to italy? how much does the train ticket to zurich and interlaken cost? and how long is the ride?

i've also been spending 20chf per meal, is that normal?

London
Level Contributor
8,329 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 7 days in geneva

Hi,

Take the train down to the Vevey/Montreux end of lake and visit Chateau de Chillon. Do a search about Vevey on this site, and you will find lots of suggestions about the area. It's really worth it. Beyond the lake, go to the thermal baths at Lavey les bains (do a search on the Switzerland forum, and you will find all the details). Go to Gruyeres and visit the cheese museum. If the weather is OK, you could take the train to Vevey, then the bus to Chatel St. Denis and then the bus to Les Paccots where you can do gourmet walks (also search on the Switzerland forum for details about this).

Enjoy!

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Level Contributor
13,067 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 7 days in geneva

Hi oregonsixteen,

Here are some more ideas:

Montreux old town

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g188108-d546…

Lavaux

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g188108-d669…

Promenade Fleuri

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g188108-d546…

Morges

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g198828-r408…

Gruyeres

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g198820-r408…

Saanen

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g188079-r408…

Gstaad

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g188079-r408…

Also think about a ferry ride on the lake, schedules at www.cgn.ch -- good trips would be between Vevey & Rivaz, Vevey & Morges, or Montreux & Chillon.

Finally, you can rent bicycles at the train stations at Montreux, Vevey, Lausane, Gstaad, Bulle, & Chateau d'Oex. So you can tool down the promenade at Montreux, or through the Lavaux vineyards, or around Gstaad & Chateau d'Oex.

Really, there's so much to do nearby that it wouln't make sense (to me, anyway!) to take a long train ride to Zurich or Interlaken or Italy.

You can research train rides at www.cgn.ch.

Have fun!

s

Santa Clara
Level Contributor
381 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: 7 days in geneva

thanks! that's a lot of information to digest. i'm off to google now. :) thanks again.

Santa Clara
Level Contributor
381 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: 7 days in geneva

i couldn't get www.cgn.ch to display in english, am i the only one with this problem?

Santa Clara
Level Contributor
381 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: 7 days in geneva

sorry, i mean to say i couldn't get http://www.tpg.ch to display in english.

Travelling The World
Destination Expert
for Alghero
Level Contributor
14,320 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 7 days in geneva

They have just completely redesigned their site, and the versions in languages other that French aren't ready yet (hence the greyed-out flags).

Travelling The World
Destination Expert
for Alghero
Level Contributor
14,320 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 7 days in geneva

In the meantime you can try running the site through Babel Fish

http://babelfish.altavista.com/

It's not perfect but iot helps.

Travelling The World
Destination Expert
for Alghero
Level Contributor
14,320 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 7 days in geneva

20chf per meal is pretty good actually.

One good tip is to eat your main meal at lunch. All restaurants have plats du jour which are extremely good value and aimed at office workers.

Be sure you take the tour of the UN building (it was my playground as a child - my Dad worked there) and see the Red Cross museum. Bits of it are quite harrowing but it is worth seeing.

All kinds of daytrips you can make as has already been noted.

Seattle
Level Contributor
41,361 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 7 days in geneva

I'm a big fan of Lausanne, Vevey, and Montreux. I could (and have!) spent several weeks at a time just in that area.

Check out the open air local farmers markets... in Vevey town square Sat AM, Vevey pedestrian street Tues AM, Montreux under the pergola between the main street and the lake Fri AM.

Seattle
Level Contributor
41,361 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 7 days in geneva

Oops, those three towns are straight out on the train line along the lake approx 1 hr. or so.