We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Breakfast near Rue Mont Blanc and/or station

Linden, New Jersey
Level Contributor
112 posts
12 reviews
Breakfast near Rue Mont Blanc and/or station

Hi all,

I will hopefully be waking up from what was a restful sleep on my flight to greet the Geneva airport. I have a number of hours in Geneva (about 4), and I've decided it would be great to take the train from the airport to stretch our legs, see a bit, and get some breakfast before returning to the airport.

I'm not exactly sure which train stop I will be getting off at (on the map looks like something Geneve-Cornavin) If anyone knows, that would be most helpful :)

Anyhow.. what is a good place to grab breakfast in the area directly surrounding the train stop? How close do I have to get to the fountain on lake Geneva to appreciate it? From the map, its hard for me to tell how far the walking distances are.

Geneva, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Geneva, Air Travel, Business Travel
Level Contributor
5,426 posts
656 reviews
1. Re: Breakfast near Rue Mont Blanc and/or station

All trains from the airport stop at the main station. The ride takes 7 minutes. Do take a free public transportation ticket before leaving the luggage hall at the airport (right before customs, on the side).

Once at the main train station, go down "Rue du Mont-Blanc" (Mont-Blanc street) towards the lake. It is a 5-10 minutes walk depending on your pace. Once in front of the lake (and the bridge), before crossing, you can either turn left, walk another 100 yards and you'll find a strange monument behind which is http://www.cottagecafe.ch/ that offers a breakfast in the garden (whether permitting), or turn right, walk another 100 yards to find a Starbucks. These are of course only two possibilities out of several others...

Linden, New Jersey
Level Contributor
112 posts
12 reviews
2. Re: Breakfast near Rue Mont Blanc and/or station

Cottage Cafe looks really nice. Thanks for your help :)

Canton of Valais...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
44,245 posts
204 reviews
3. Re: Breakfast near Rue Mont Blanc and/or station

Note that the free transport pass will get you into town but expires after 90mins or so and therefore might not get you back to the airport. (In fact I am not sure it can be used to travel to the airport but Swissdiver would know about that!) You can buy 1 hour transit passes at any bus stop but many of the machines only accept cash OR won't give change in Geneva. So best to have some small change on you. A 1 hr pass is long enough to get you back to the airport from anywhere in central Geneva so you could take a bus or a tram back to the station and then the train out to the airport.

The monument is truly peculiar. Imagine the Albert Monument in Hyde Park - it looks like that, sort of. Mausoleum for the Duke of Brunswick in fact. here is a link with a picture (you won't believe your eyes!)

geneve-tourisme.ch/en/…

Linden, New Jersey
Level Contributor
112 posts
12 reviews
4. Re: Breakfast near Rue Mont Blanc and/or station

Thank you for the tip! 90 minutes will probably be the most we will be out and about, so maybe we will just make it. If not, I had planned on exchanging some currency at a bank somewhere once we get off the train to the city.

Canton of Valais...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
44,245 posts
204 reviews
5. Re: Breakfast near Rue Mont Blanc and/or station

Just use one of the many ATMs when you leave the Customs Hall. Once you turn left for the station you will see them on your left. Your home bank card will do and you can withdraw 50frs or so. Much better rate than changing USD for CHF at the bank counter (which is also there...) And this won't take you more than a minute. So you have more time downtown.

Geneva, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Geneva, Air Travel, Business Travel
Level Contributor
5,426 posts
656 reviews
6. Re: Breakfast near Rue Mont Blanc and/or station

The 80 (not 90) minutes free transport pass allows to board any public transport in any direction within the 80 minutes. So, yes, on the way back you will have to buy a ticket (CHF 3.50 for 60 minutes). If you don't want to bother with Swiss Francs, you can pay the ticket with a card but only at the station. Alternatively, unless your bank is charging horrendous fees when using ATM abroad, just follow Hambagahle advice.

Edited: 4:12 am, July 26, 2014