We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Booking/reserving train?

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
2 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
Booking/reserving train?

Hi,

I will be travelling to Switzerland in less than a week time, and was wondering if it is necessary to book train in advance.

I've never travelled to Europe around this time of the year but I know that spring is a bit of a down time in Europe so I didn't bother to book trains as yet.

Any ideas?

Thank you!!

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
61,964 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Booking/reserving train?

Hi there,

For any normal domestic train not common and I'd even say not needed. Solely the panoramic tourist trains do have a compulsory seat reservation.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Geneva, Switzerland
Level Contributor
13 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Booking/reserving train?

only if you travel on a EC you'll need a reservation (e.g. if you travel from Italy to Switzerland by train)

Canton of Valais...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
42,683 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Booking/reserving train?

You don't even need a reservation for a seat on an EC provided that you are getting on and off in Switzerland. For example an EC train Geneva to Montreux that continues on to Italy. Just be sure when you sit down that you have not taken a reserved seat. (Small LED readout above the seat tells you whether it is reserved or not and if so, from where to where).

Just get your ticket at the station and get on the next train.

Geneva, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Geneva, Liechtenstein, Air Travel
Level Contributor
5,325 posts
656 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Booking/reserving train?

From the "Top Questions" at the top right of this page:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g188057-c192373/Genev…

5. Re: Booking/reserving train?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, April 21, 2015