We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Geneva region help

Which Geneva hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
636 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Geneva region help

Hello everybody - can you offer some advise.

After staying for 5 days in Luzern, we have another 3 night to stay in either Geneva or Lausanne. Our flight is out of Geneva airport on 4th day in evening. I searched Montreux hotels but its too expensive!

So can u please suggest for the base - Geneva or Lausanne? In 3 night stay we would like to go to mainly glacier 3000, castle chillon, Gruyeres and trips to montreux and vevey. Is this can be done in 3 days?

Thank u for the advise.

London
Level Contributor
8,329 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Geneva region help

Have you had a look at Vevey hotels? Vevey is close by Montreux and you can very conveniently get to all the places on your wish list from Vevey.

Have you also checked Territet and Villeneuve for hotels? Both are next to Montreux.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
636 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Geneva region help

Yes - Vevey is also out of budget. Because Geneva and Lausanne has the more hotels, there are some reasonable one available. Hotel is less in vevey and montreux and that's why expensive.

So we had to choose between geneva and lausanne. Also my plane will leave from geneva airport.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
636 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Geneva region help

Can you also tell us whether Geneva is a good base to explore glacier 3000? It's in Gstaad, so is there direct train from Geneva to Gstaad and then to glacier 3000?

Thank u

Geneva, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Geneva, Liechtenstein, Air Travel
Level Contributor
4,441 posts
477 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Geneva region help

You can use http://www.sbb.ch/en

From Geneva, Gstaad is 2 1/2 hours away and Col du Pilon (where the Glacier 3000 cable car starts), 3 1/4 hours. So not pretty much a good choice. Plus Geneva is, unfortunately, one of the most expensive cities in the world, hotels-wise.

Why don't you try smaller cities on the rail-road, such as Villeneuve or Morges. Hotels in Switzerland are usually always clean and nice, even if they are family run.

London
Level Contributor
8,329 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Geneva region help

I agree, since everything on your wish list is at the other end of the lake, in this case, Geneva doesn't make sense.

Have you checked out the private hotel rooms in the Riviera Lodge in Vevey. They seem well received here on TA:

rivieralodge.ch/en/…rivieralodge.html

I believe there are also reasonably priced private rooms in the HI Territet hostel:

hihostels.com/dba/hostels-Montreux-Territet-…

Geneva, Switzerland
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,441 posts
477 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Geneva region help

NWL: Wasn't aware of a hostel in Territet! Good to know!

Michelle: Territet is the village where Chateau de Chillon is. It is easily accessible by train, bus and boat.

London
Level Contributor
8,329 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Geneva region help

Yes, I have walked past it and it seems to be in a nice spot

Geneva, Switzerland
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,441 posts
477 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Geneva region help

P.S.: Welcome back, NWL :-)

London
Level Contributor
8,329 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Geneva region help

Helloooooooo. I have been travelling.

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
33,469 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Geneva region help

Territet is not where Chillon is - Chillon is in a smaller place called Veytaux between Territet and Villeneuve. However you can walk from Territet to the château in about 15 mins (depending of course where you are in Territet!! If you are taking the local train "Chillon Veytaux" is the name of the stop and it is the one after Territet if you are coming from Montreux.

Personally I wouldn't bother with Glacier 3000. It is the Glacier des Diablerets and is reached by cable car from the Col du Pillon (not from Gstaad which is some distance away). You would need to take the train from Aigle to les Diablerets and then the postbus to the Pillon. It stops at both the cable car stations on the pass. But it isn't such a great place - views are OK but not amazing. And it does take a lot of time to get there. What would make a lot more sense on a day trip from the Vevey-Montreux area would be to take the Goldenpass line to Montbovon from Montreux, then change for Gruyères. Visit Gruyères. Then back on the train and carry on to Broc Fabrique. See the Chocolate Factory - Maison Cailler. Then on to Bulle which is a very pretty "market" town. And from Bulle to Palèzieux where you connect to Lausanne and from there to Vevey-Montreux. No back tracking and many varied and interesting things to see. I just really do not think that the time spent to get to the Pillon and up to Glacier 3000 is justified by what is in fact up there!!