We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Geneva to Zurich WITH Bernina Express

London, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Geneva to Zurich WITH Bernina Express

Hi,

We're travelling to Geneva and I sort of extended my journey to Zurich as well. However, I really insist to take the Bernina express and use it as a mediation (I know its not the most direct option). I am clueless on how to proceed from Geneva even after reading so many other forums.

My criteria is this: I am checking out of my hotel in Geneva on 20/04/14 (Easter Sunday) and I am booked in my Zurich hotel the same night. So, I basically have the whole day (Easter Sunday), during which time I am more than willing to squeeze myself to any limits to get in to Bernina express. I am still in a comfy position to cancel my hotel reservations (only if I have to, as I am on a v cheap employee benefit rates) if Bernina makes me do it!

Please help me out here...

Thanks in advance :)

Edited: 6:11 pm, January 27, 2014
canada
Level Contributor
7,706 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Geneva to Zurich WITH Bernina Express

Go to www.sbb.ch, fill in from [Geneva] to [Zurich] via [Tirano].

You have a choice of going through Milano, or backtracking within Switzerland. 15-16 hours in a moving box is not my kind of day trip. Yet it beats the week long Trans-Siberian.

London, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Geneva to Zurich WITH Bernina Express

Thanks bofoster.

I've sbb'ed the trip and as you said I've got a 13 hour 41 mins long journey. I am absolutely fine with it (just for a day though!). Now, I can see few station names like Poschiavo, Pontresina, Chur etc which looks familiar to me as I saw them while analyzing Glacier Exp and Bernina Exp.

Could you kindly assist me on where (which station) exactly I need to catch BE please. And do I need to buy a different ticket for that? Or does this trip take the same route as the BE?

Sorry if my question is silly, but I just wanted some reassurance.

Many thanks :)

London, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Geneva to Zurich WITH Bernina Express

Oh Bofoster,

I just found it. BE is built in in the trip, which is amazing. So, I now need to explore on how to reserve the panoramic coach. I am photographic maniac. I read some reviews that Pan coach may not be suitable for proper pro-photos and just the normal coaches will do the trick. Is that true? In that case, I'll book the tickets now for the normal journey.

Many thanks :)

Haverhill, United...
Level Contributor
6,217 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Geneva to Zurich WITH Bernina Express

If you take the regional train from Milano central to Tirano then youwalk across the square from the Italian FS station to the Swiss RhB station. I prefer local trains which run on the same route for the fact that they have slide down windows which you can stick your camera out of some carry panoramic carriages which require a supplement which you can pay on board. Other trains are the Bernina Express which are nicknamed "Glass Coffins" for obvious reasons!

If you have time it may be worth breaking your trip in Tirano there are many hotels and restaurants. If you walk down the street from the station and turn left you soon come to a good photo point where the railway runs down the street and crosses a road junction in front of the church.

There is no requirement to pre book on a local train. On your way to Chur you can change in Pontresina and Samaden rather than going through St Moritz. www.rhb.ch

London, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Geneva to Zurich WITH Bernina Express

Thanks a lot for the lovely information 'mostlybytrain'. I am wondering if I can save some bucks by taking 'Swiss Flexi Pass' for this route (I mean all from Geneva till Zurich via Tirano using BEX). Any idea on what difference will it make? Will it be applicable through out the route?

Any information will be highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance :)

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
37,189 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Geneva to Zurich WITH Bernina Express

Why don't you simply take the train Geneva to Visp and connect with the GLACIER EXPRESS (not the Bernina) from Visp to Chur. It is heaps better for a long day on a train than the Bernina, which because it is a relatively short ride doesn't have the facilities (meals at your seat, excellent commentary delivered via headphones etc) that the Glacier Express does.

Frankly to go from Geneva to Zürich and ride on the Bernina express is not a "meditation" it is a "purgatory".

London, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Geneva to Zurich WITH Bernina Express

Thanks for your useful suggestion Hambagahle. I already considered this option though and my wife insists to take the Bernina more than Glacier (with the obvious willingness to enjoy the pain of the long journey..lol)

I am just curious to know if the Swiss flexi pass would save me some quid along the journey.

Many thanks

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
37,189 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Geneva to Zurich WITH Bernina Express

Can you not fly into Zürich - this would make more sense and reduce a nightmare of a day to simply a long one!

Zürich airport to Chur

Chur to st Moritz

BEX St Moritz to Tirano and back

St M. to Chur

Chur to ZRH

As for whether a pass would reduce the cost - you have to do the maths yourself. Look up the full (not half fare) costs of all the trains you plan to take and compare to a Pass or a Flexi. But you cannot get a pass for just one day and you might find point to point fares are better!

If you start this trip from Geneva you need to add 3 hrs to get to Zürich HB. then 1 hr to Chur. 2 to St Moritz. 4 including a stop in Tirano with the BEX and / or normal train on the same route. Then 3 hrs back to Zürich. That is a 13 hr day if I add correctly. Not exactly something one would relish!

9. Re: Geneva to Zurich WITH Bernina Express

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:22 am, February 01, 2015