We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hertz: Geneva

London, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
183 reviews
Save Topic
Hertz: Geneva

I wonder if anyone could help? I rented a car from Hertz at GVA...the rental period was 36 hours....I returned it, all was well and signed off as ok by a Hertz employee. A few weeks later when getting my credit card statement I noted that an additional charge had been applied.

Nothing had ever been notified to me and I was aware of no incident that would have damaged the car. I had to go online and get the invoice (Hertz Geneva then told me this had been sent to me, one month later it has never been received). The number on the invoice was called,...the gentleman blisteringly rude referred me to the airport hire desk, the airport hire desk gave another e-mail...mailed..no response.

I do not know what these charges relate to...I have insurance but cannot claim as I have never received an invoice.....I tried Hertz corporate and they referred me back to GVA office and so the cycle began again.

Its become a war of attrition but I believe this is theft.

Anyone any ideas or had a similar experience of Swiss Compaies charging credit cards without prior advice?

Mentioned in this post
Geneva
Geneva
Canton of Geneva, Switzerland
Geneva, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Geneva
Level Contributor
1,230 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hertz: Geneva

Well the only thing I can think of is a speeding fine or red-light camera. Your contract normally says somewhere buried in the small print that you are liable for any fines incurred whilst you had the car.

That being said, the response from Hertz is a little dismal. You do have a right to know what the charge is for. What does it say on your invoice about these charges? Even if it's in French or German?

London, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hertz: Geneva

The issue is, I had heard nothing and the only way I found out was when the charge appeared on my credit card...then I was able to access the invoice online (GVA insist this was sent to me by post, bytnow 4 weeks and nothing received)...the invoice has a charge described a "damage charge", plus an admin fee.

I have now spent hours on the phone to them and been passed around and no one can tell me what this is for. The car was signed off as being ok by Hertz when I returned it, so I am assuming damage caused thereafter by someone else and they are charging me for this.

trying to be objective about it, I don't think I have ever received worse customer service than the experience with Hertz Geneva...it's been appalling.

Thanks for your post though and your thought which are appreciated.

Mentioned in this post
Geneva
Geneva
Geneva, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Geneva, Liechtenstein, Air Travel
Level Contributor
4,969 posts
607 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hertz: Geneva

Normally Hertz in Geneva is all right. Now I have to say I didn't rent here for a while now. The best is to call them (+41 22 716 3080 - main branch in Geneva). If you can't get a decent reply, call the Zurich head office (+41 44 732 1238). You deserve to have the details.

Mentioned in this post
Geneva
Geneva
Zurich
Zurich
Canton of Zurich, Switzerland
London, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hertz: Geneva

Many thanks for going to the bother of responding. It is much appreciated!

After many calls, e-mails and tweets, I am pleased to say that Hertz in Geneva finally responded and the issue is resolved. It has taken a month and a lot of time and frustration and would so easily have been resolved with some open communication; however, they ultimately delivered!

Thanks to all who contributed!

Mentioned in this post
Geneva
Geneva
5. Re: Hertz: Geneva

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, November 30, 2014