We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Outdoor Stores and walking Geneva to Le Puy

Which Geneva hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Norfolk MA
2 posts
Save Topic
Outdoor Stores and walking Geneva to Le Puy

Hi all,

first time on this forum for me. I have been searching (perhaps incorrectly) for outdoor/camping equipment in Geneva. Does anyone know what stores there are in Geneva? I am looking for an Esbit stove to accompany me on my walk to santiago. What is the trail like leading out of Geneva? Im planning on camping along the way. Any Advice?

anyone have advice on the best way to search on the net for info in europe? hmm, perhaps i need to search in French?

thanks all!

chris

CAB
Geneva
Level Contributor
291 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Outdoor Stores and walking Geneva to Le Puy

Dear "without a name",

Wow, that's a long walk. I know someone who walked it in 2004. If I remember it took her 2.5 months. Good luck anyhow.

I found the following web site with info on the pilgrimage:

http://www.webcompostella.com/en/index.html

As for the type of store you are looking for in Geneva, I found the following 2 - the first one on the rue de Lausanne (close to the railway station) also has a web site (in English):

1. Point Break

magasin d'articles d'aventure, voyage et sécurité

rue de Lausanne 44

www.e-pointbreak.com

2. Terres d'Aventures

rue du Pré-Jérôme 5

1205 Genève

Téléphone 022 320 67 29Fax * 022 320 67 38

Have fun.

Geneva
Level Contributor
273 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Outdoor Stores and walking Geneva to Le Puy

Far from an expert here in the matter, and most places appear to sell CampingGaz or Colemans stoves...However there appears to be at least one place for you in Geneva for an Esbit stove. ..for the dizzy price of 13francs including 20 tablets.. but I am told a saucepan is no longer provided with the kit.....?if they were before..(?)..

The shop is called ‘le Globetrotter’. They are pleasant and can understand English.

This shop is (opposite to the ‘Comédie' theatre) on the left hand side of the road at 9, Boulevard de Philosophes which is a road just off the Rondpoint de Carouge, on the Rue de Carouge, which in its turn runs close to one side of Plainpalais.

You can get a tram 12 or 17 from centre town (destination Bachey de Pesay) - which is the most convenient as get off at “Plainpalais” stop at rondpoint de Carouge itself - or else a Tram 13 or 15 from Cornavin station destination “Palettes” and get off stop “Plainpalais” just off the side of Plainpalais across from the Rond-point de Carouge.

You are just a stone’s throw from the town centre

Whilst in the area you can visit ..the Parc des Bastions where the Wall of Reformation is... Place Neuve,..The Old Town, cathedral and archeological dig.... la rue de Carouge..

Plaipalais itself often has different events taking place on it. The area is interesting to look aound.. some reasonable places to eat..

I do not know personally of anyone here who has done this walk. I am told by one who knew someone that did it, that the whole trip nonstop Geneva to Santiago could take probably apparently around 3 -1/2 months. One of the most beautiful leagues on tthe whole trip is is apparently Le Puy to Conques.

Hope one or all of following links useful in some way or another..

http://www.chez.com/doph/stbiblio.htm seems a lot there but scroll 3/4 way down for itinery exact between Geneve and Le Puy, (under heading in red “via gebennensis Genève-Le Puy en Velay)” plus contact links with Association Rhône-Alpes des amis de Saint Jacques and its secretariat

http://www.ultreia.ch/english.html You can access lots more information about backpacking etc in Europe from this page and linked one with it

http://www.polle.net/ton/index.htm

??Maybe contact links useful on

www.culture-routes.lu/php/fo_index.php…

Norfolk MA
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Outdoor Stores and walking Geneva to Le Puy

wow,

thank you so much for all the helpful information. Yes i am prepared to spend 90 days walking. I believe i will take the GR65 all the way to Roncesvalles and at Burguete take the GR11 to the Camino del Norte to Santiago and Finisterre... if i have any time left over ill goto Portugal... haha. Im starting in Geneva. I guess i am drawn to Geneva more than any other place to start and it fits within what i believe is possible. I will be there in under a month now!

thanks kindly,

sinenomine

4. Re: Outdoor Stores and walking Geneva to Le Puy

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:18 am, August 14, 2009