We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

around Geneva

East Sussex
6 posts
Save Topic
around Geneva

what are the recommended places to visit around Geneva?

we want to see things that are cultural and reflect the daily life in switzerland/ e.g. chees making...or chocholate making.... sth very interesting and original

Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
Level Contributor
13,762 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: around Geneva

Um, well, the daily life in Switzerland is for the most time NOT cheesemaking or chocolate making... but working in an office or factory. Especially in and around bigger cities like Geneva.

Anyway, i would recommend Gruyere for a day trip - see www.sbb.ch for schedules. There is actually a chocolate factory (Caillier) and a cheese factory which can be visited as well. Plus, a nice castle and generally very beautiful surroundings.

Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
Level Contributor
13,762 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: around Geneva

If you only have so little time in Switzerland, why spending it in a city (Bern or Geneva) instead of in the mountains? The cities are nice but not so special, especially in such a short time.

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Level Contributor
13,132 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: around Geneva

Hi footstep,

I love Lac Leman and visit as often as I can. Here are some of my favorite acitivities there:

Montreux old town

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g188108-d546…

Lavaux

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g188108-d669…

Promenade Fleuri

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g188108-d546…

Morges

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g198828-r408…

Gruyeres

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g198820-r408…

Please note that though these are all based out of Montreux, you can get to them very easily by train from anywhere on Lake Geneva.

You should also make sure to take a ferry trip (www.cgn.ch), maybe do it in conjunction with another trip (to Morges or from Vevey to Chillon, etc).

You can see cheese-making and tour a chocolate factory in Gruyers (www.gruyeres.ch), as altamiro notes above!

Have fun!

s

Geneva
Level Contributor
273 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: around Geneva

You do not say when you are coming here, how long you are staying?

Here is a link where I was replying to a request similar to yours recently.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g188057-i389-k6170…

and the link to the message I replied to earlier this evening has a couple more suggestions

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g188057-i389-k6685…

You will notice the link to the tourist loffice site is different in the 2 links above. It has changed recently .

The present one is as iin the second of the 2 links above,

geneve-tourisme.ch/…_eng

to finish with, another link by a colleage who is absent at the moment regarding chocolate in Geneva

tripadvisor.com/…3363923

Hopefully the above will be useful for you

London
Level Contributor
8,329 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: around Geneva

The cheese museum in Gruyeres is definitely worth a visit. The museum is right next to Gruyeres train station. You get to find out how the cheese is made, sometimes you can see a demonstration and you get free cheese at the end. The old town of Gruyeres, just up the hill from the museum is lovely (very touristy, but definitely worth it). There's a chateau to visit there as well. If you had a car, or a little time to take the bus, carry on up from the station on the bus to Moleson village. There are lots of fun things to do there including a funicular, followed by a cable car to the top of Moleson mountain. On a clear day, there are lovely views all around the prealps from the top of Moleson, and you can watch people leaping of the mountin doing parascending (or whatever that's actually called!).

To get to Gruyeres from Geneva would be about an hour and a half's drive (correct me if I'm wrong other people), and can also be relatively easily reached on a pleasant train journey with a couple of simple changes.

Seattle
Level Contributor
43,315 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: around Geneva

Vevey is a lovely small town that is a slice of "normal" Swiss life (sorry it's not all about cheese or chocolate making -lol!).

Vevey is about 1 hour from Geneva on the train. If you happen to be able to get there on a Saturday go to the early morning farmer's open air market in the main town square... now THAT is a peak at real daily life.

Montreux the next town along the lake is very nice as well, but more of an international feel to it. Visit the Chateau de Chillon which is a fabulous OLD castle just outside the town. These two towns are WELL worth a visit.

7. Re: around Geneva

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:19 pm, August 13, 2009