We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel by boat

Which Geneva hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Topic
Travel by boat

We will be staying in Geneva for a few days, one of which we would like to travel to Lausanne preferably by boat. Does anyone know if there a regular water transport service between Geneva and Lausanne? We would need to go over in the morning and return to Geneva that night. Alternatively, do water taxis run on Lake Leman?

Thanks for any help.

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
33,435 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Travel by boat

KM has - very nicely I have to say - told me that ferry is an American usage. Now how was I suppose to know that? I know the British, French, Swiss etc usage. Not the American one. Ferry has a pejorative inference to me - not as nice as our lake boats! But now I understand that it is "american speak"... however Swandav, since very few of our readers are Americans I would suggest, politely I hope, that you use the term lake boats to avoid any misunderstanding... and perhaps put "ferry" in brackets afterwards. Or vv. It is important to be clear so people know what to expect. And I am sure you agree with that?

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Level Contributor
13,092 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Travel by boat

Hambahagle, I agree that kileysmom is very kind in her responses here. And with kind posters, I also try to reply with kindness. I find your constant unnecessary corrections of my posts to be tedious, and so I reply in kind. As a Christian woman, I realize I ought to turn the other cheek and be more loving, but honestly, I think I ran out of cheeks about two years ago.

I thought that, with your decades of living in the US, you would have picked up on most of the American usages. I would have thought it insulting to imply that you aren't familiar with American usages. And in fact, I myself have only lived in the US for about 30 of my 58 years, so I also don't have that same background in American usages. I don't think that's relevant.

No, I don't agree with your solution. How about I post the way I want to post, and you post the way you want to post. I don't like it when folks tell me what to do and how to do it! Why don't you say "lake ferry" and then put "lake boat" in parenthesis??

I cannot imagine that a non-English speaker would not understand that a lake ferry takes people from one dock to another on a lake; but if they do have trouble with it, I will be very happy to explain it when they ask.

s

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
33,435 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Travel by boat

I lived in New York City. In NYC there are the Staten Island and Hoboken ferries. They shuttle back and forth and take cars as well as people. There are also the Circle Line boats (note term!) and the Dinner boats that are designed for tourists. A New Yorker would no more call the Circle Line a ferry than he would the Staten Island ferry a sightseeing boat! I am ignorant as to what the rest of the country does... and here in Europe the usage is as I explained.

You are American. I am Swiss. We can't change that!! And I only know what I learnt about the US is from NYC. Which, as some Americans say "is not America"!!!

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
13,092 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Travel by boat

Hi again Hambagahle,

Well, we had no ferries or boats whatsoever in Dhahran and Abqaiq Saudi Arabia, where I grew up. When we moved to Florida, there were no ferries at all, though lots of fishing boats. In 20 years in the Army, I never came across ferries or boats, nor were there any in Knoxville. So, the first time I came across the problematic term was here -- and I looked in my handy dandy dictionary.

I still -- and in all honesty -- don't know why you think the difference will matter to someone looking to cruise on Lake Geneva -- ?

s

Seattle, Washington
3 posts
Save Reply
15. Re: Travel by boat

Hello,

My husband and I will be flying into Zurich from the United States and expect to arrive ion Zurich Wednesday September 18 at around 11:00 am. We have a flight leaving Zurich on Friday September 20th at 18:05 (6:05) pm.

We wish to climb Rigi Kulm and need help as to how to get to and from there and possible hotel stays. Can you help us with planning this trip.

Sincerely,

Karen

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
33,435 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Travel by boat

OK - S I shall try to explain why it makes a difference to many English speaking people!

Ferries bring to mind over-crowded, commuter transportation. Going back and forth over the same route, taking people to work or transporting cars with somewhat rudimentary accomodation for passengers. (Actually the latter, on some lines like the Silja in the Baltic has improved, but that is what one thinks about) Not ideal for tourists unless they are trying to get a car from one side of a lake or a stretch of water... Just, in fact, like the Staten Island ferry!!

Lake boats (or steamers if they are one - La Suisse is for example) on the other hand make multiple stops and are designed for the tourists. Meandering along a coast line so people can see the views, take photos. have nice (in some cases!) restaurants to have a pleasant meal while watching the lakeshore pass by. Altogether a far more pleasant image, as you can see, from the one of a ferry.

Some lakes in Europe have ferries. Maggiore does. The Bodensee does. But they are not the sort of boats you would want to linger on!! you get on. You get off. And that is that.

Now do you see the difference? It is not only a question of the word, but also a question of the image it conjures up to an awful lot of people!! It is really almost insulting to call a boat like La Suisse or the Blumlisalp a ferry...

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
33,435 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Travel by boat

Karen - you tacked your question onto a thread about lake boats, and it might have become lost in the shufffle (or the wake!!). Next time when you have an unrelated question simply start a new thread by clicking on the "Ask a question" button.

Now to your question -

When you say "climb" Rigi do you literally mean walk up. Or just go up? I ask because you can do both.

At any event, I would suggest taking a train from Zürich airport to Luzern and basing yourselves there. Mt Rigi is easily accessible from Luzern by lake boat to Vitznau. There is a very old (historic really!) cograilway to the top and there is a hotel up there too, in case that interests you! (Look up Rigi Kulm on the Luzern Tourist Office site).

There are lots of things to do in and around Luzern and its location in Central Switzerland makes it ideal for a short stay. And there are plenty of hotels to choose from... www.luzern.ch

For trains look at www.sbb.ch/en

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
13,092 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Travel by boat

Well, thank you, Hambagahle, for explaining the difference you see, as it was a mystery to me.

However, I just can't change my writing to accommodate the imagery that might be conjured up by folks from around the world.

I appreciate your explanation!

s

Plymouth, New...
Level Contributor
948 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Travel by boat

Sometimes I forget that I'm on these forums to plan my trip, and sometimes I think the Destination Experts forget that they are here to assist visitors - the entertainment is priceless!

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
33,435 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Travel by boat

You are right Sippican. You ARE on these Forums to plan your trip. And we, the DEs, should be able to explain in terms you would understand, what is invoved... Clearly some of us cannot. And for that I apologise. However now that Swandav understands the problem I am sure she will deal with it and make things a little clearer... She normally likes to have things easily understandable.