Unfortunately Geneva is one of the most expensive cities in the world, also for lodging. In addition, certain evenings, it can be very difficult to find an available room because there is a professional fair (something that is hardly visible from outside). So a few hints:
- Do use the excellent Tourist Office hotel (and other lodging) search tool:
- Of course check the reviews on TA!
- If you contemplate the idea to lodge in neighbouring France, do consider the lack of efficient public transport in most of the areas. Also you would then have to pay for Geneva public transport (while the Geneva hotels are giving free public transport cards to all their guests).
- If you can't find a room that match your budget, check in Nyon (15 minutes by direct train from Geneva), Morges (30 minutes) or Lausanne (35 minutes).
- There is only one hostel in Geneva: http://www.yh-geneva.ch/
- Do avoid the blocks around rue de Berne (area = Les Paquis): this is the red light district (which means you would see the ladies in the streets since prostitution is legal in Switzerland)
- If you are looking for a room because you are flying early in the morning, the Geneva Airport train station is 7 minutes away from Cornavin (Geneva main station). So you can either stay by the airport (check the hotel offers a shuttle service) or by Cornavin.
Enjoy your stay in Geneva!