We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Geneva to Martigny by car southside of the lake

Helsinki
Level Contributor
12 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Geneva to Martigny by car southside of the lake

Hello,

I'm going to be driving from Geneva to Martigny in July, and was wondering about the route southside of the Lake Geneva. The roads are obviously smaller than A1 on the swiss side, but what condition are they in? Any recommendations for stops along the route? Thank you!

Geneva, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Geneva, Liechtenstein, Air Travel
Level Contributor
4,734 posts
538 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Geneva to Martigny by car southside of the lake

If you look at the shape of Geneva Lake, you'd see why the South bank road is shorter, but only in distance terms as there are no highway available. So you'll be crossing villages and small cities. Routes are in good condition. But it is often difficult to overtake.

Best stop for me (and for many others): Yvoire (http://www.yvoiretourism.com/accueil).

Helsinki
Level Contributor
12 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Geneva to Martigny by car southside of the lake

Thank you Swissdiver! Highways are fine for moving quickly from a to b, but you don't really see anything worthwhile on them. I like smaller roads, so I think I'll take the southern option.

London
Destination Expert
for Verbier
Level Contributor
3,089 posts
307 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Geneva to Martigny by car southside of the lake

I understand what you mean about motorways.... but that motorway is also particularly beautiful on a clear day between Lausanne and Villeneuve. It's best east-west, so maybe come back the other way by the motorway.

Geneva, Switzerland
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,734 posts
538 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Geneva to Martigny by car southside of the lake

JT14,

"particularly beautiful on a clear day between Lausanne and Villeneuve"

Agree ... for the passengers, not for the driver... In addition, there are a lot of work in this section of the highway.

Geneva, Switzerland
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,734 posts
538 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Geneva to Martigny by car southside of the lake

Farandout,

The first bit of the "South road" is actually rather boring. But from Evian it is quite nice. Also do avoid the detour around Evian and cross the city, taking the lake side road.

Helsinki
Level Contributor
12 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Geneva to Martigny by car southside of the lake

Thank you for the tips, Swissdiver and JT14! We'll probably take our time and drive along the lake side as you suggested. So many big cities on our trip that it'll be a welcome change to see the countryside too.

7. Re: Geneva to Martigny by car southside of the lake

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, May 14, 2014