We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4 days trip on a meagre budget.

Geneva, Switzerland
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Topic
4 days trip on a meagre budget.

Dear All

I stay in Geneva(expat) and have 4 days off from 9-12th this month. Please let me know where can I go those days. I am on a shoe string budget. I want to stay close to nature(woods). I prefer slovania but not sure how to reach it. Flight are expensive and I dont have info on buses. Request your help and guidance to plan something with in a strict budget.

Thanks

Geneva, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Geneva, Liechtenstein, Air Travel
Level Contributor
4,724 posts
539 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 4 days trip on a meagre budget.

Well, travelling on a meagre budget during the Ascension is quite a challenge since this is one of the longest week-end of the year and many want to leave on these dates... Since flying might be quite expensive, you might want to consider taking the train. Which of course exclude distant destinations. Check http://www.sbb.ch/en/leisure-holidays.html: there are plenty of nice ideas.

Zuerich
Destination Expert
for Zurich
Level Contributor
1,393 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 4 days trip on a meagre budget.

If you are "desperate" to get away from Switzerland then you can take a quick look at the easyjet.com website and use the "Flights > inspire me" tool to see where there are cheap flights from Geneva. This should give you some choices as GVA is a hub for easy jet. Likewise you can go to Swiss or other airline websites to see last-minute specials, but as Swiss Diver pointed out the Ascension weekend will ensure that prices are a bit more expensive.

As an alternate for in Switzerland ..."on the cheap" I would recommend just heading to the mountains and hiking. If you stay in SAC huts (only open at lower altitude this time of year) then you'll have a good relatively inexpensive few days.

If this is not your style... then the other "less expensive" option is to get a multi-day train pass for CH (less than a flight elsewhere!) and do a grand tour of Switzerland. You'll have to do a search for cheap accommodation, but with the train pass you'll be able to go ANYWHERE in CH so you are certainly not limited to the normal touristy tracks. ... be adventurous! :-)

And have a good time!

Geneva, Switzerland
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 4 days trip on a meagre budget.

Dear Swiss diver and Canswiss...

Thanks a lot for your information. Due to some reasons, I am not able to make it this weekend. I would use this info for my other trips in future :)

Have a nice and adventurous long weekend for you both !!!!!!

Cheers

Pravin

4. Re: 4 days trip on a meagre budget.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, May 10, 2014