We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stay or go?

Which Geneva hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Reading, United...
Level Contributor
55 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Stay or go?

Arriving in Geneva by air around 6pm, en route to the Berner Oberland, and the train appears to take around 4.5 hours. This would mean we arrive at our resort pretty late, and it's unlikely that the two kids (10,7) would either enjoy that much travel on the day.

I'm considering staying in Geneva overnight, and taking the train the next morning. I think we might be able to enjoy the journey more in the daylight rather than the twilight.

Any views on the pros and cons?

Also, I'd welcome suggestions for an appropiate hotel near the Gare Cornavin. Considering we're lieterally going to be checking in and out within 12-odd hours, safety, hygiene and a good night's sleep take precedence over luxury (or are they the same thing?). I guess I'm saying it doesn't seem to make sense to spend a great deal of money for just a single night's stay. So what's a sensible price for that location?

Knoxville, TN
Destination Expert
for Interlaken
Level Contributor
4,728 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Stay or go?

There is an excellently priced Holiday Inn Express right at the airport. We're staying there in June, and it's supposed to be quite nice (for a HI).

Travelling The World
Destination Expert
for Alghero
Level Contributor
14,588 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Stay or go?

Even cheaper than the HI is either the IBIS or the Etap near the airport.

But I suggest you stay by Cornavin because if you stay at the airport you will have to transfer between hotel and the terminal.

Near the station try the Hotel Amiral (should be about the same price as the HI), the Suisse Hotel or the Best Western Astoria. You are looking at around £70-£80 per room as a minimum, but shop around for the best deal you can find, then contact the hotel direct to see if they will beat it.

But definitely stay the night and enjoy the fantastic train journey by day.

Reading, United...
Level Contributor
55 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Stay or go?

Thanks for confirming my view - we will now stay over.

Now, looking at the hotels around the Cornavin, and reading the TA review on the Admiral, I get the impression that the area (or parts of it) can be less than respectable.

Considering I'm travelling with kids, which hotels should I realistically be looking at. Do I need to look for something perhaps a tram ride away to get away from the seedier neighbourhoods or are there 'clean' streets that would be OK?

Travelling The World
Destination Expert
for Alghero
Level Contributor
14,588 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Stay or go?

The Amiral is on the edge of a small red light district. It's not a huge problem, but probably best to stick to the Best Western or one of the others instead with young children.

Knoxville, TN
Destination Expert
for Interlaken
Level Contributor
4,728 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Stay or go?

We are paying approximately 140 CHF for a room for 2 adults and 2 teenagers at the HI Express...that includes breakfast and airport shuttle.

Travelling The World
Destination Expert
for Alghero
Level Contributor
14,588 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Stay or go?

That's a good deal, and if they were leaving from the airport I would say go for it. But zippykay and family have only limited time and is leaving early the following morning from the station. They have to get there anyway, so the best solution is to take the train straight there on arrival and stay within walking distance. By the time they wait for the shuttle etc in both directions they will have lost at least 30 minutes of their limited time. They might pay a little bit more but they will make the most of it.