We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip skiing

Which Geneva hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
N. Ireland
Level Contributor
8 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Day trip skiing

Hi,

We are staying in Geneva from 14th December for 3 nights. We are considering a day trip somewhere to maybe go skiing. None of us have skied before and I'm finding advice very confusing?

Can anyone tell me where would be the best place to go on a Sunday to do this?

We are looking for somewhere that would be easy to travel from the train station?

How much would something like this cost for travel, ski passes, possible ski lesson for a day?

Is something like this practical to do and worth it?

Any advice would be welcome

Thanks

London
Destination Expert
for Verbier
Level Contributor
2,591 posts
245 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trip skiing

Maybe someone will suggest a specific place to learn but I would just say:

- you need clothing

- you need to rent equipment

- you NEED an instructor. You cannot just try to ski - it would be dangerous and painful

- you need insurance

Most people take one week to learn the basics. You could have a taster day. But it would be a complex (and expensive) exercise. By the time you get to the resort, rent everything etc, you might manage an afternoon lesson. Then it's dark at 4pm and time to come back. And the next time you try to ski, you will be back to square one.

You'd have a lot more fun going to a local resort with a good sledge run.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
321 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trip skiing

Chrissy

One of the closest resorts to Geneva is Leysin, accessible by train via Aigle I think.

I admire you for thinking a day trip to try skiing is worth considering. It is do-able but personally I would think long and hard before committing everyone.

Don't get me wrong, I love skiing but as a first time and only for one day you may have too high expectations.

It is possible to hire ski's, boots and poles for about £30 each for the day. Instruction would be a must to get the basic feel of ski's and sliding along. However from my own experience you are likely to spend a fair amount of time (being your first time) on your backside and as much fun as it is, it is also frustrating and tireing.

Have you got some good clothing to keep you warm and dry. It is currently

-13 degrees.

Going back to the instruction side. If you choose a resort make sure you contact the local ski school and see if they have an instructor available and what the cost is for half/full day.

It may be worth considering tobogganing instead of skiing. I always find this great fun. Check out the resort and see if they have toboggan hire.

What ever you decide have fun and enjoy the mountains.

London
Destination Expert
for Verbier
Level Contributor
2,591 posts
245 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trip skiing

I hadn't sledged "properly" until last year. If you are British and haven't been to a ski resort, it might sound a bit lame (like going to the local hill when you are a child). It is NOTHING like that. Many resorts have sledge runs which are many km long (our local one is 8km). The set up is easy - no lift pass, you just pay a fee for one ride up the cable car. The sledge are stacked at the top, take one, go and give it back 1 hour later at the bottom. It will probably be CHF10-15 for pass and rental or CHF25 for half a day.

It's much more thrilling that your first day learning to ski. You are up the mountain with the skiers, the scenery....

You do need waterproof clothes. Don't attempt it in jeans. You will be freezing to your bones within 10 minutes.

BTW - it is -13 at the moment, but warming up (relatively) by the weekend. But forecast is for snow.

N. Ireland
Level Contributor
8 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trip skiing

That has been so useful, thanks for the replies everyone. Going to give the skiing a miss but where do we go to do the tobogganing/ sledging? Sounds great fun and much more up my street?

London
Destination Expert
for Verbier
Level Contributor
2,591 posts
245 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day trip skiing

I am not an expert in which luge runs are best accessed from Geneva (or wherever you are specifically staying). I know Verbier, which is much further than you need to go. Given that it is this weekend, post a new thread with the specific question. Also mention which transport you intend to use. French resorts may be near by car, but swiss resorts will be easier by train.

6. Re: Day trip skiing

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:16 am, December 18, 2013