We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Have one full day at Geneva

Which Geneva hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Calcutta, India
Level Contributor
5 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Have one full day at Geneva

I am reaching Geneva on 11th December and will be busy from 12 to 14th December for a meeting. Instead of 15th flight, I am leaving on 16th morning flight. How to utilize the whole day in Geneva? Is the weather would be good to take the public transport?

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
34,178 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Have one full day at Geneva

The only way to get around Geneva, aside from walking is to take public transport. Your hotel will provide a "mobility card" which entitles you to free and unlimited use of all the public transport in and in the immediate vicinty of Geneva.

See this for ideas for your free day:

tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-g188057-c127289/Gen…

Calcutta, India
Level Contributor
5 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Have one full day at Geneva

Thanks a lot. I am from India. It shows that weather is not that much friendly for me. What type of precautions, I need to take. Little bit hurry to know all these because my departure flight in on tomorrow.

Can I go to lake or the flower weather clock etc...

bern
Level Contributor
3,487 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Have one full day at Geneva

According to our national tv the weatherforecasts for the 15th are pretty good, but it's very early check them one two days before eg. on http://www.meteoschweiz.admin.ch

Current weatherforecast expect a very typical weather for Swiss winters: fog in lower parts, great sunny weather on the mountains. In that case a trip to the mountains would be worth. Reachable are for example Rocher de Naye above Montreux or even, if you don't mind a long day trip, Zermatt with the Klein Matterhorn or Gornergrat There is no need to book anything ahead, trains here don't need a reservation and you can buy the ticket on the day of travelling. Best is if you ask about details again in a few days when weatherforecasts are clearer and tell us about your expectations and budget.

<What type of precautions, I need to take.> Bring warm clothes and good shoes. There is currently very much snow in Switzerland, but it's far away from a situation the country is not prepared for.

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
34,178 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Have one full day at Geneva

It is very cold here. (I live on the plain, where it is usually warmer than the mountains and here today it is -7C) Geneva won't be as cold but will still be very cold - below 0C anyway.

You must have waterproof sturdy shoes/boots (boots are better right now!), wololen hat, gloves, scarf and a very warm coat. There is a cold north wind blowing (we call it a "Bise") and even if it is sunny it will still be very very cold.

Calcutta, India
Level Contributor
5 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Have one full day at Geneva

Thanks. I have worked in Hamburg, Germany 10 years before. After your suggestion, I realized that normal show will not work. Running to shop for buying good shoes who has god sole.

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
34,178 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Have one full day at Geneva

Good because leather soles on ice and snow are lethal. You might very easily fall and have a nasty accident. You could also get something in Geneva on arrival.

Geneva, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Geneva, Liechtenstein, Air Travel
Level Contributor
4,454 posts
507 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Have one full day at Geneva

Cold it is. So don't expect many flowers! But you still can go by the lake and see the flower clock. Lights are quite nice is the weather is good.

On Place du Molard, there is a tower (geneve-tourisme.ch/en/…). It is worth stopping by for a tea or a hot chocolate. The view is nice and the inside decoration old and amazing!

Enjoy Geneva

Calcutta, India
Level Contributor
5 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Have one full day at Geneva

My hotel said that they provide hob, fridge cutlery, dishes...

Can you guide me , what is "hob"? Is it a gas Oven? Can I prepare food over that.

Geneva, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Geneva, Liechtenstein, Air Travel
Level Contributor
4,454 posts
507 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Have one full day at Geneva

I didn't know the word. But googling "Hob" and selecting "Images" shows a lot of cooking appliances. And looking at the dictionary indicated me this is a typical British English word :-). So yes, you should be able to cook with a hob!

Edited: 11:38 am, December 09, 2012
Calcutta, India
Level Contributor
5 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Have one full day at Geneva

Thanks everyone. I reached Geneva and checked in Hotel at city centre. Then I will be in other hotel. I liked the weather apart from current cold breeze which just started 1 hour before :-(. Thanks again