We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Montreux/Chateau de Chillion & Gruyeres

London, United...
Level Contributor
19 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Montreux/Chateau de Chillion & Gruyeres

Just wondering if it is possible to do Montreux/Chateau de Chillion/Rochers de Naye AND Gruyeres all in one day... would it be possible on public transport, or would we have to rent a car? Or are there are any tour companies that would go to all of these places in one day?

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Level Contributor
13,193 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Montreux/Chateau de Chillion & Gruyeres

Hi Heather286,

When would this be? Summer with longer daylight hours, or winter?

In any case, I guess it might be possible to set foot in Montreux, to set foot in Chillon, to set foot at Rochers-de-Naye, and to set foot in Gruyeres in one day . . . but why? You really would not have the experience of being there.

If you start your day in Montreux, you can be at Chillon when it opens at 09.00 in the summer or 10.00 in the winter. Most folks stay for two hours. Assuming you might stay for an hour, you could be in Montreux at 10.20 and leave for Rochers-de-Naye at 10.47. You would arrive at 11.47. How long to stay there? An hour? You could depart at 12.46 and be back in Montreux at 13.41. There's a train that leaves for Gruyers at 13.45 and arrives at 14.58. In the summertime, the Maison du Gruyeres is open until 19.00, and in winter until 18.00.

You can get all the train schedules at the Swiss rail site at

www.rail.ch

But, again, I think a plan like that would be counter-productive. I think it would only tease you with the things that you will have missed at each spot --

s

London, United...
Level Contributor
19 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Montreux/Chateau de Chillion & Gruyeres

Hi, thanks for your reply, much appreciated! I only have two days, hence the rushed schedule, and it will be 3rd November. I will certainly explore the options you have provided me with - thanks!

London
Level Contributor
8,329 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Montreux/Chateau de Chillion & Gruyeres

I'd find that too frantic. I plan each as a half day activity, and Gruyeres can form part of a whole day if you include a fondue and a trip to the chocolate factory at Broc, or the thermal baths in Charmey.

Geneva, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Geneva, Liechtenstein, Air Travel
Level Contributor
4,661 posts
508 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Montreux/Chateau de Chillion & Gruyeres

While I agree with NWL, I do understand the constraint. But I don't know where you'll be based, Heather.

In general, you could visit Chillon in the morning, take the http://www.goldenpass.ch at 11:45 to get to Gruyeres at 12:58, enjoy the village, head to Moléson (and its cable car to bring you to the top, weather permitting to enjoy the incredible view). Not Rochers de Naye, but the latter could replace it, at least view-wise...

London
Level Contributor
8,329 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Montreux/Chateau de Chillion & Gruyeres

Moleson is great. The funicular and new cable car are splendid and I actually find the views better than from the Rochers de Naye (mountain views, not the lake)...but I'm not sure if the funicular and cable car are operating in November. Check on www.moleson.ch. If they are, it's well worth it. Just a short hop on the bus from the back of Gruyeres station to Moleson-sur-Gruyeres.

London, United...
Level Contributor
19 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Montreux/Chateau de Chillion & Gruyeres

Perfect, I will check out Moleson, thanks a million everyone for your replies.

7. Re: Montreux/Chateau de Chillion & Gruyeres

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 am, October 28, 2013