We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

venice to geneva

Which Geneva hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
SF Bay Area, CA
6 posts
Save Topic
venice to geneva

What's the best way to get from venice to geneva? Either air or train is fine w/ me. If it is by train, is this something that needs to be booked ahead of time? I checked the Cisalpino train and it said that no tickets were available. I would appreciate any input. Thanks!

Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
Level Contributor
13,697 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: venice to geneva

>What's the best way to get from venice to geneva? Either air or train is fine w/ me. If it is by train, is this something that needs to be booked ahead of time? I checked the Cisalpino train and it said that no tickets were available. I would appreciate any input. Thanks!

Where did you try to buy the tickets? For the trips across the border Cisalpino requires a reservation, but it is rare that you can´t get it even the day you travel, much less in advance. Where did you look???

SF Bay Area, CA
6 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: venice to geneva

altamiro,

I looked on raileurope.com/us/…cisalpino.htm

I will be travelling on June 4, 2006

So are you saying that I shouldn't worry about getting tickets for rail travel? Do you know how long the trip from venice to geneva takes? thanks!!!

Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
Level Contributor
13,697 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: venice to geneva

Raileurope is a overpriced scam. You can and should buy your ticket from the rail organisations without subsidising middlemen like Raileurope. There is never a problem to get a ticket for a day train - it simply means that the Raileurope guys don´t sell them. As an addition they don´t list half the trains that are running.

see www.sbb.ch or www.trenitalia.it for more exact information.

Seattle
Level Contributor
41,286 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: venice to geneva

I've done Venice to Vevey (1 hour outside Geneva) a few times by train. Twice we took an overnight train in a private compartment. It leaves Vevey at midnight, so Geneva must be around 23:00. And you arrive Santa Lucia around 6:00am or so if I remember correctly.

I took a return day train which transfered at Sion then on to Vevey. It was an awful long ride (maybe 7-8 hours, again it's been awhile) and was not all that awfully interesting.

I would go by night train or fly.

Seattle
Level Contributor
41,286 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: venice to geneva

Vevey TO Venice was my overnight train, in that direction.

I bought my tickets at the train station a few days ahead of travel. And reserved the cabin at the same time.