We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which location is better for a rental?

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
66 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Which location is better for a rental?

Hi, i am looking at renting an apartment four 4 nights in either the UN area or between Cornavin and the lake. What is a better location? It's for an older couple and the least walking the better. Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Cornavin Hotel Geneva
Cornavin Hotel Geneva
868 Reviews
Geneva, Switzerland
Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
40,472 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which location is better for a rental?

The area between cornavin and the lake is much more central than the area around the UN. However it depends - a lot! - on exactly where between Cornavin and the lake because if the flat is in the neighbourhood of the rue des Paquis, that is the red light district and I personally would not want to stay there. Too much going on... I wouldn't say I am "elderly" but I suppose I am defintely "older"!!

Can you say where it is?

If you end up with a flat near the UN then you jsut use public transport. Which is OK. Geneva has a reasonable network and while a lot of people who live there complain about the tpg I, as a visitor to Geneva now, am satisfied with their service.

Mentioned in this post
Cornavin Hotel Geneva
Cornavin Hotel Geneva
868 Reviews
Geneva, Switzerland
Geneva
Geneva
Canton of Geneva, Switzerland
Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
66 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which location is better for a rental?

I also found another one at the genève Eaux vives region. How is that location? It is Rue Sismondi, the other place.

Canandaigua
Level Contributor
727 posts
163 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which location is better for a rental?

I suggest you look in Carouge. It is very safe, and the tramline from the center of Geneva runs about every 5 minutes during the day. It is not considered part of Geneva proper, being just over the river, and it was once a separate "kingdom" of the Duke of Sardinia.

The architecture is distinctive and the weekly markets excellent.There is plenty of shopping conveniently located for walking. It is very easy to get around, and in my opinion, more central(or safer) than the areas you mention.

Not that Geneva is unsafe, especially during the day, but the areas around the train stations are certainly less "well-kept".

Mentioned in this post
Geneva
Geneva
Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
40,472 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which location is better for a rental?

For a short term rental I would NOT stay in Carouge. It is quite a way from the centre of town and although it has a nice atmosphere - sort of "Left Bank, Paris style" - it would not be my cup of tea at all. rue Sismundi is IN the Paquis so to be avoided as well.

The Eaux Vives is extremely nice. In fact I lived there the first two years I lived in Geneva. It is near the lake, close to the centre of town (you can walk to the rue du Rhône in about 10-15mins) and close to the lovely Parc de la Grange. It is a residential area and has a good choice of supermarkets/shops etc as well.

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Geneva
Geneva
5. Re: Which location is better for a rental?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:16 pm, August 20, 2013