We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 days in geneva, anniversary - good idea? urgent..

birmingham
Level Contributor
133 posts
Save Topic
3 days in geneva, anniversary - good idea? urgent..

any recomended places to stay? want to be near the lake i guess... and near attractions?

what's the weather like in september?

birmingham
Level Contributor
133 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 days in geneva, anniversary - good idea? urgent..

we also don't want to do too much travelling....walking etc..

Canandaigua
Level Contributor
719 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 3 days in geneva, anniversary - good idea? urgent..

I recommend you look at the Geneva hotel ratings . For ideas on what to do in town, search out my( and others) recent posts on this topic.

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
35,212 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 3 days in geneva, anniversary - good idea? urgent..

Many of the hotels right on the lakefront are 5 stars and Geneva is not a cheap city! There is a Manotel chain with several hotels both 3 and 4 star which are not far from the lake. www.manotel.ch

As for things to do, see this:

tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-g188057-c127289/Gen…

September weather is usually great. Dry, warm and sunny. But that is "usually". And as we all know when it comes to weather you need to expect anything. There are still a lot of tourists about in September so it is a good idea to make reservations for restaurants whenever possible... especially should you choose to go to Yvoire for lunch!

If you want a nice day trip out of Geneva take the train to montreux. Take the local bus 201 to Chillon and spend a couple of hours at the castle. It is wonderful and getting an audio guide is well worth it. then walk back along the lake, or take a lake boat to Montreux and have lunch. In the afternoon if the weather is nice either go up to the top of the Rochers de Naye (cog railway) for a great view over the eastern end of the lake, the Vaudois and Valais and French alps and the Lavaux vineyards. OR go to Vevey, take the train to Chexbres and walk back down through the vineyards to the lake - say at St Saphorin which is a very pretty little village. Take the local train to Lausanne and then the fast train to Geneva.

birmingham
Level Contributor
133 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 3 days in geneva, anniversary - good idea? urgent..

how long would it take from hotel to get to a city centre hotel near lake?

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
35,212 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 3 days in geneva, anniversary - good idea? urgent..

I think there is a problem in your question! I rather think what you mean is "How long will it take to get from the AIRPORT to a city centre hotel..."

There are frequent trains from the airport to the main station in town. This ride takes 6mins and is free to visitors arriving in Geneva. Just pick up a free transit coupon IN THE CUSTOMS HALL at the airport. Don't forget it, as if you do you will have to buy a ticket and the machines are not available outside the Customs Hall.

Then of course it depends on which hotel and how you travel there. If you walk from the station to the lake it takes 10mins. Taxi about 5 (traffic!) and taxis are very expensive here. Count 15-20frs for this ride.

Almost all the lakefront hotels are on the Swiss side of the lake (north side). Only one I can think of on the "French" side.

birmingham
Level Contributor
133 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: 3 days in geneva, anniversary - good idea? urgent..

my wife she is expecting.. so i dont want her to get tired... that' why im asking these questions...

if there were scenery , museums we could see close by etc that would be nice

Geneva, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Geneva, Liechtenstein, Air Travel
Level Contributor
4,464 posts
508 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 3 days in geneva, anniversary - good idea? urgent..

The problem with Manotels is their awful location. Often it is difficult to avoid the Geneva "red district" to go to the city centre. I personally don't like any of them.

One of Geneva hidden gems is http://www.eastwesthotel.ch/en/. It is also somewhat close to the same district, but on the right side (i.e. outside in the direction of the Old City). It is furthermore located right behind two of the most famous luxury hotels in Geneva. Another nice option would be http://www.bristol.ch. On the other side of the river, http://www.hotel-tiffany.ch/en/ i nice too.

Hope this helps.

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
35,212 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 3 days in geneva, anniversary - good idea? urgent..

Swissdiver -

I agree - I do not much like the Paquis but one of the Manotels is outside that, on the rue de la Navigation. Marginally outside, I suppose!

Interesting you recommend the Bristol. used to be a very very good hotel and I think from your recommendation it still is. But pricey?

birmingham
Level Contributor
133 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: 3 days in geneva, anniversary - good idea? urgent..

Thanks for hotel suggestions. Is it near attractions?

Geneva, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Geneva, Liechtenstein, Air Travel
Level Contributor
4,464 posts
508 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 3 days in geneva, anniversary - good idea? urgent..

@Hambagahle: The one outside can be expensive because of the UN area that includes many multinational companies. For them, unless they are ready to pay for the Interconti, Manotel represents a good choice (and since it is to the East of les Paquis, people don't need to go through the "Red District").

Bristol is for some reason usually somewhat discounted and might represent a good deal.

Edited: 7:44 am, August 13, 2012