We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time traveling by train

Haslet, Texas
Level Contributor
5 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
First time traveling by train

We are visiting Geneva for the first time in August. We have two boys, 9 and 13. We would love to travel to France and Italy but want to know if we should book day trips through a tour company suggested by my company or if its pretty easy to get around and do on our own for alot less money. We don't speak any French so I'm a little worried about getting on the right train. I've been researching the rail passes but I'm totally new to this. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! We are staying at the Grand Hotel Kepinski in Geneva.

Haslet, Texas
Level Contributor
5 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: First time traveling by train

Actually scratch Gruyeres. We have to be back for a boat trip to Yvoire by 4:30 pm with my company. I'm looking at Annecy instead tomorrow morning.

Any advice?

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
35,089 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: First time traveling by train

When you get off the train in Gruyères you are right next to the Demonstration Cheese Factory where you can see exactly how Gruyère cheese is made. There is also a nice restaurant at the Factory (you can even have a fondue!). then to get to the village you follow the signs and walk up the hill. Takes about 15mins.

Chocolate Factory is not close enough to walk if you want to do all this in one day. It is about 10km from Gruyère so take the train to Broc Fabrique. Chocolate factory is best done in the afternoon. They have a small, crowded café there and the restaurant at the Cheese Factory is better for lunch. OR there are a LOT of busy restaurants in the village itself...

Then return from there to Geneva via Bulle, Palèzieux and Lausanne.

13. Re: First time traveling by train

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 am, August 19, 2013