We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

day trip from Paris

Highland Heights...
Level Contributor
73 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
day trip from Paris

Is it reasonable/advisable to try a day or overnight trip from Paris to Geneva for a single female traveler? Is there any applicable tour given the short time? I just want to see Switzerland, however briefly. Will be staying w/friends outside of Paris. I am the only one who would be willing to go for only a day. I realize I could take the train, but would really need a tour or other package.

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Level Contributor
13,162 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: day trip from Paris

Hi travelingfamilysdko,

The train ride to Geneva takes about four hours, so that will be more than eight hours on the train in one or two days -- I'm afraid all you'll remember is the train itself.

Also, Geneva really isn't a good representation of Switzerland imo. Switzerland is best known for its scenic beauty and its mountains, while Geneva of course is a major international city.

If you want to see mountains, you'll need to take a further two-hour ride into the mountains.

I think if you want to break up your Paris visit, you should think about some French countryside -- maybe the French alps, maybe Annecy, etc.

Good luck!

s

Wichita, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Wichita, Kansas
Level Contributor
4,083 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: day trip from Paris

Geneva is about the size of one Paris arrondissement. Not nearly as interesting and definitely more expensive.

Highland Heights...
Level Contributor
73 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: day trip from Paris

thank you both, yes it is the beauty of the mountains I wish to expereince. We are doing the French countryside,Loire Valley, and a four day trip to Amsterdam, I just wanted to squeeze in Switerland during our two week visit.